Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennart Poettering Announces New Project: casync

Phoronix: Lennart Poettering Announces New Project: casync

Following his work on PulseAudio, Avahi, and systemd, Lennart Poettering has a new project to announce: casync...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Talk about re-inventing the wheel for the nth time. I've personally been doing this for decades already. LP might finally have caught up to concepts introduced in the 90's. It's just that he's so arrogant that he won't recognize that.

Comment

Interesting project idea, be interesting to see how it pans out. Canonical have a decent head start with their IoT stuff so it might take a bit of doing to catch on

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Talk about re-inventing the wheel for the nth time. I've personally been doing this for decades already. LP might finally have caught up to concepts introduced in the 90's. It's just that he's so arrogant that he won't recognize that.
        His description of how the tool works is laid out in the blog post. Please provide a link to a peace of software that fits that description, shouldn't be hard if you do it that way for decades already, shouldn't it?

Comment

Look, we all know full well that LP hates the Unix philosophy. But the real truth is that rsync, dd, truncate and a few others have been doing what LP needs for decades. And if he wasn't so scared of shell scripting he could already have been doing what he wanted.

Comment

Oh gawd. Queue up years of kvetching and complaints from the peanut gallery. "This is destroying linux!" "Worst project ever!" "My computer won't work anymore!" "I'm switching to BSD/Devuan/Gentoo!" I don't actually know what it does or how it works, but IT'S TERRIBLE!!.

Comment

Not-invented-here? But since its not from canonical but the charming Poettering the community will just cheer and call everyone not cheering hater.

Comment

I can't wait for the term IoT to die!

Comment

Maybe the comment section should be closed for every article mentioning LP? We can expect only trolling and useless statements.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Look, we all know full well that LP hates the Unix philosophy. But the real truth is that rsync, dd, truncate and a few others have been doing what LP needs for decades. And if he wasn't so scared of shell scripting he could already have been doing what he wanted.
                    Yeah, i remember how awesome was to have 300+ linux distros that literally meant have 300 bash versions of the start up script around, now lets do it for image deployment so every distro can have their own shell script that is totally incompatible with their peer while claiming theirs is the right way.

No thank you, i prefer someone like lennart(docker, canonical, or whatever) develop a sensible standard that is distro independant and properly supported so i can trust i don't have to reinvent the wheel every time i wanna support a different distro

Btw if you bother in reading the blog, nowhere lennart state that there isn't tooling available to do this by hand, in the same way docker or canonical did either. He is simply pointing out they all have different approaches with their respective downsides and he is proposing another way to do it that can be used by either with less down sides and prolly standardize it a bit more between vendors, it doesn't sound crazy at all to me.

but i get it lennart is cthulhu in disguise so it must be evil by default

Comment

Working...
                    X