Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D Language Support Cleared For Being Added To GCC

Phoronix: D Language Support Cleared For Being Added To GCC

The GCC Steering Committee has approved of allowing the D language front-end and runtime to be included as part of the GNU Compiler Collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What does D bring to the table, I've never looked at it? It seems to me that C/C++ have maturity, support and ubiquity. The cool kids seem to be going for Rust. Is this a correct assessment? Not that I object it being added to GCC.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      What does D bring to the table, I've never looked at it? It seems to me that C/C++ have maturity, support and ubiquity. The cool kids seem to be going for Rust. Is this a correct assessment? Not that I object it being added to GCC.
      Today D is mostly a failed language. It intended to be a more modern and safer C++ but it never took of and the time went on. Today we have Rust which is more popular, goes further on memory safety and features a very well designed standard library with many modern features and no cost abstractions. D should have started to get big traction ten years ago if it ever were to go somewhere.

I guess GCCs interest in it mostly is to have some modern language to combat with LLVM which is what Rust is using.

Comment

how does this relate to gdc?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          how does this relate to gdc?
          It is gdc getting merged.

Comment

OpenMW used to be written in D, but they rewrote it in C++ because they couldn't find anyone who knew the language and wanted to contribute. Maybe having it be part of GCC will get more people trying it out.

something something Rust front-end

Comment

Nice. Maybe I should look at whether my projects compile under GDC correctly now, hm. The problem will be getting a proper GDC CMake wrapper, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

Today D is mostly a failed language. It intended to be a more modern and safer C++ but it never took of and the time went on. Today we have Rust which is more popular, goes further on memory safety and features a very well designed standard library with many modern features and no cost abstractions. D should have started to get big traction ten years ago if it ever were to go somewhere.
                From what I remember, D's biggest competitive advantage is that they put a lot of work into supporting C++ directly in their FFI.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

I guess GCCs interest in it mostly is to have some modern language to combat with LLVM which is what Rust is using.
                  One epic mistake was to keep the compiler closed source. Thus there used to be some availability issues under Linux. This alone was enough for me to not even bother about it ...

Comment

Originally posted by Brix View Post

It is gdc getting merged.
                    ok, thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X