Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan vs. OpenGL On Linux With Core i5, Core i7, Ryzen 7

Phoronix: Vulkan vs. OpenGL On Linux With Core i5, Core i7, Ryzen 7

For those curious about the state of the Radeon Vulkan (RADV) vs. OpenGL (RadeonSI) performance with different Intel and AMD CPUs, here are some fresh benchmark results with the current Vulkan-supported prominent Linux game titles of Dota 2, Mad Max, Talos Principle, and Dawn of War III. During this opportunity for the tests across Core i5 / Core i7 / Ryzen 7 hardware were also CPU usage analytics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Core i5 7700K"? Do you mean i7?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      "Core i5 7700K"? Do you mean i7?
      Yep, fixed that typo, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Great work Mike as always. I have one request and I know you are very busy, but it would be a huge service to your premium members like me if you could include AMD + Intel + NV results all in a single chart with the same bench criteria and systems. Otherwise it is a painful and error prone task. Please?

Not like it matters much today of course. After the NYT article on ethereum good luck finding any card outside of super premium ( 1080Ti/TitanXP) and low end (<=GTX 1050Ti).

Comment

This is a useless benchmark without 1% and 0.1% Lows

Comment

The Ryzen is always showing lower CPU utilization than the 7700k. Is this because that calculation is done across all cores, and the Ryzen 7 has twice as many? Cause its FPS is always lower, but its utilization is also lower.
            Last edited by audi.rs4; 21 June 2017, 01:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Vulkan slower than OpenGL...that's disappointing given that Doom etc. were twice as fast.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
                The Ryzen is always showing lower CPU utilization than the 7700k. Is this because that calculation is done across all cores, and the Ryzen 7 has twice as many? Cause its FPS is always lower, but its utilization is also lower.
                Remember that in this case, usage is averages across all cores. So yeah, having twice as many, the majority sitting at 0%, is going to help a lot. 50-25-0-0 will have a higher average then 65-40-0-0-0-0-0-0, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                  Vulkan slower than OpenGL...that's disappointing given that Doom etc. were twice as fast.
                  The thing is that RADV still has lots to do to catchup, the AMDGPU-PRO should do better if im not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                    Optimized OpenGL is insanely fast, it's just REALLY hard to optimize OpenGL.

Also remember Vulkan performs better in situations where CPU performance matters; it's not surprising the i5 benefits more from Vulkan, as it's more easily bottlenecked then the other two CPUs tested. This is expected. On higher tier CPUs, performance should be about equal between the two.

Comment

Working...
                    X