Valve Puts The Steam Link & Steam Controller Back Up For Summer Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Puts The Steam Link & Steam Controller Back Up For Summer Sale

Phoronix: Valve Puts The Steam Link & Steam Controller Back Up For Summer Sale

The Steam Summer Sale will begin today and already Valve is offering up discounts on their Steam Link and Steam Controller hardware devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam Link looks very interesting. Can it stream *any* content, or only Steam content? I scanned the Steam reviews, and found *one* guy who claimed "with some tweaking" he got some other ( non-Steam ) games streaming. I'm more interested in just streaming my desktop. Any chance? It really would be a killer feature, since there is no MirrorCast support in Linux.

Comment

Would buy it instantly if it would be at the same price in europe. No discount on the steamstore nor on amazon.de or amazon.co.uk.

Comment

Great. Both the Steam Link and the Steam Controller are awesome pieces of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
          Steam Link looks very interesting. Can it stream *any* content, or only Steam content? I scanned the Steam reviews, and found *one* guy who claimed "with some tweaking" he got some other ( non-Steam ) games streaming. I'm more interested in just streaming my desktop. Any chance? It really would be a killer feature, since there is no MirrorCast support in Linux.
          I't very easy, you just add a non-steam app or game on the host steam client, and you can then stream it from the link. I've been doing this with Halo (wine), Minecraft, etc... without problem. You can also certainly stream apps like Kodi, but I didn't try.

To think that I got it for €50... Is it just me, or does this Amazon item ships internationally? Edit: it looks like it does, which brings the price around €30. Not too bad
          Last edited by M@yeulC; 22 June 2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

You can launch some desktop program or alt tab out of a game on the host PC to get desktop access.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
              Would buy it instantly if it would be at the same price in europe. No discount on the steamstore nor on amazon.de or amazon.co.uk.
              game.co.uk 12£
              amazon.com with shipping to EU ~21€
              and you missed gamestop.de 20€, that is over
              Last edited by user82; 22 June 2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

No money for Valve until they fix the 1$=1€ issue.

Comment

Well, you're not going to find MirrorCast support for anything else either, but rather MiraCast
                  There is MiracleCast for Linux, though I don't know how well it works:
                  Connect external monitors to your system via Wifi-Display specification also known as Miracast - albfan/miraclecast

And, there are WiDi adapters you can use that work for any system.

That reminds me to try looking into remote displays again. It's been about a year since I checked last so I wonder if better tech has come out.

Comment

I don't think Valve can fix that.

Official FX rate is 1 EUR = 1.12 USD.

And most countries in Europe have ~20% VAT. So if you are getting 1 USD = 1 EUR rate, you're underpaying by (20%-12%)=8%.

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    No money for Valve until they fix the 1$=1€ issue.
                    Last edited by coder111; 22 June 2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X