Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digiKam 5.6 Released With HTML Gallery, Video Slideshow Tools

Phoronix: digiKam 5.6 Released With HTML Gallery, Video Slideshow Tools

digiKam 5.6 is now available as the latest version of this open-source photo management software aligned with KDE/Qt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sorry.....ain't touching it. If you're too damn lazy to make your app One Click install I'm not compelled to use it. This is 2017. You've done the hard part in programming it. Take the extra step and make it One Click. If that means you have to package two versions...one RPM and the other DEB so that package managers for Fedora and Ubuntu can one click it....so be it. If that means having both a Flatpak and a Snap....so be it.

Appimage needs to die. And it will. Command lining this....and setting permissions that..... just to launch the fu$$ing thing is embarrassing. This is why desktop Linux is 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      Sorry.....ain't touching it. If you're too damn lazy to make your app One Click install I'm not compelled to use it. This is 2017. You've done the hard part in programming it. Take the extra step and make it One Click. If that means you have to package two versions...one RPM and the other DEB so that package managers for Fedora and Ubuntu can one click it....so be it. If that means having both a Flatpak and a Snap....so be it.
      Or just, you know, apt-get install. Or use the GUI package manager. I ain't touching anything that doesn't install cleanly. -- meaning uses system libraries and doesn't shit all over the system.

Comment

Appimage needs to die. And it will. Command lining this....and setting permissions that..... just to launch the fu$$ing thing is embarrassing. This is why desktop Linux is 1%.
        Hmm.. don't see why appimage should be hard to run. You don't need anything - just to set explicitly the file to be executable as it is not set by default on most distributions for normal files that you download to your home because of security.

Comment

I'm no fan of AppImage, but making it executable can be done through most GUI file managers. No CLI required.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
            Or just, you know, apt-get install. Or use the GUI package manager. I ain't touching anything that doesn't install cleanly. -- meaning uses system libraries and doesn't shit all over the system.

mh, honestly I'd rather have executable permission by default. What's the point if you always end up executing it ? Was there a time where you were looking at that `chmod `command, or GUI menu for permissions, and said yourself "mhhhh no this is fishy, I'm not going to run this app" ?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

mh, honestly I'd rather have executable permission by default. What's the point if you always end up executing it ? Was there a time where you were looking at that `chmod `command, or GUI menu for permissions, and said yourself "mhhhh no this is fishy, I'm not going to run this app" ?
              There's still a time. What if you think "alright, looks interesting, let's download this AppImage (or whatever executable)" and then start doing research on it and it turns out not to be so great. If it was executable by default, you'd be more inclined to not do research and just double-click it. You know, just like you would on Windows. By not making it executable by default, you're more likely to double-check it before double-clicking it.

Comment

Working...
              X