Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Proceeding With Transition From LightDM To GDM

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Proceeding With Transition From LightDM To GDM

As part of the switch over to the GNOME Shell desktop environment by default for Ubuntu 17.10, they are also abandoning the LightDM display/log-in manager in favor of GNOME's GDM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they want to use a wayland session as a default or even an option they have to either switch to GDM or rewrite LightDM to run under Wayland. GDM running under wayland can launch both X and wayland sessions, while the same GDM forced to run under X can only launch X sessions. Thus, a wayland session requires a wayland session manager, unless like Weston it can bu launched from a text console.

Comment

Every other Wayland desktop works fine from a text console, KDE, Enlightenment, Sway, Liri (once Hawaii). GNOME needs XDG_SESSION_TYPE set, before it had to be done with PAM, but now it can be done with an env var

Comment

What's the point of even running Ubuntu anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Phoronix is known far and wide for dispensing wisdom in the form of erudite answers provided by it's brilliant and unbiased users, wait and thy question shall be answered most dilligently and without delay by the greatest minds in the Linux community, prepare to be duly enlightened.

Comment

I may said, why not simply take Ubuntu Gnome, which probably has most of that stuff already implemented. And use the extra time in polishing it and/or providing other features.

Oh I know why... Community works while on the same umbrella name, they are not upto Canonical standards!

Comment

Easy access to bleeding-edge graphics stacks from oibaf or padokaPPA are pretty nice. As far as I know, no other "easy" distro has anything like that currently (I heard pontostroy stopped updating his stuff on openSUSE, and greiver Copr on Fedora was abandoned a while back).

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post

I may said, why not simply take Ubuntu Gnome, which probably has most of that stuff already implemented. And use the extra time in polishing it and/or providing other features.

Oh I know why... Community works while on the same umbrella name, they are not upto Canonical standards!
                They are taking Ubuntu Gnome and rolling it into stock Ubuntu instead of doing the opposite. The reason given is that they want to be closer to upstream Gnome, which makes sense given the weird issues there are on Ubuntu Gnome from using differing versions of Gnome packages.

Comment

If your goal is "bleeding edge packages" I can think of a few distributions that do that better.

Im well known for being critical of Ubuntu. They spent 10 years on "NIH" and failed miserably. Switch to another distro.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
                    If your goal is "bleeding edge packages" I can think of a few distributions that do that better.

Im well known for being critical of Ubuntu. They spent 10 years on "NIH" and failed miserably. Switch to another distro.
                    Nobody cares about opinions of random users on Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                    X