Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's GPUOpen Releases Baikal Renderer

Phoronix: AMD's GPUOpen Releases Baikal Renderer

The Baikal renderer is a newly-released, open-source implementation of the AMD Radeon ProRender API. Baikal has evolved into a fully-functional rendering engine and its only hardware requirement is on OpenCL 1.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Baikal remembers me of Bahubali, which was sponsored by AMD

Comment

Seems like they have some folks doing lots of GPU raytracing research. I hope this all eventually trickles down to other renderers (lux, cycles, etc) in terms of techniques.

Comment

it's intended for use by researchers, educational institutes, and open-source enthusiasts.
        Those shots are gorgeous. Isn't this renderer intended to be used by artists as well? Is it too slow? (it doesn't seems so in the press release, where they quote 15 FPS for a moderately sized scene).

Secondly, it doesn't seem to be available as a blender renderer, which is the first place I would have expected to find it.

Comment

Andrei_me even I thought exactly the same. By chance are you from India?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            Baikal remembers me of Bahubali, which was sponsored by AMD
            Baikal is the name of a lake in Siberia

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Those shots are gorgeous. Isn't this renderer intended to be used by artists as well? Is it too slow? (it doesn't seems so in the press release, where they quote 15 FPS for a moderately sized scene).

Secondly, it doesn't seem to be available as a blender renderer, which is the first place I would have expected to find it.
              It's going to be added to Blender, it works very well with real-time Viewport performance: far better than Cycles which is also like Evee for Blender 2.8. I'd imagine LuxMark will learn from it as well.

Comment

It is a very ironical release because Baikal is not only a lake in Siberia but also a MIPS-based CPU which is not compatible with AMD video cards (there is a problem with loading a VBIOS to the GPU).

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

It's going to be added to Blender, it works very well with real-time Viewport performance: far better than Cycles which is also like Evee for Blender 2.8. I'd imagine LuxMark will learn from it as well.
                  Whoa.....Reeeally ?? That would be cool indeed !

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
                    Andrei_me even I thought exactly the same. By chance are you from India?
                    Nope, but my country belongs to the BRICS group, the first letter

Comment

Working...
                    X