Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Music Should No Longer Be So Sluggish

Phoronix: GNOME Music Should No Longer Be So Sluggish

Georges Stavracas' latest work on GNOME is making the GNOME Music player less slow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

luckily I stopped using gnome before the 2.0 release, as I stopped using windows before 95 version, but it is always fun to read about those systems: they are the opposite of the unix philosophy "do one thing and do it well"

this music player, before the new patches, should did one thing (play music) and did it very very bad!
    why? because it did too many other things and did them not so well

Comment

Shout out to Georges for this improvement. Quite the improvement. He's also working on better half-tiling in Mutter which will lead to quarter tiling. Also he works on GNOME To Do. Here's his site if some of you would like to follow. Quite the guy !

Comment

Lol so now an album takes "just" 5 seconds? I guess someone should show foobar2000 to these guys to see how fast something should be. In 5 seconds it imports around 1000 files from scratch. Lookups are pretty much instantaneous.

Comment

Meanwhile Amarok is broken for, like forever, eating RAM like there is no tomorrow and can't remember playlists when you restart it. A remember it been like this on Ubuntu and Antergos. Someone using another distro is having the same problem?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Meanwhile Amarok is broken for, like forever, eating RAM like there is no tomorrow and can't remember playlists when you restart it. A remember it been like this on Ubuntu and Antergos. Someone using another distro is having the same problem?
            Clementine is a very good and much faster Amarok 1.4 replacement if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              Lol so now an album takes "just" 5 seconds? I guess someone should show foobar2000 to these guys to see how fast something should be. In 5 seconds it imports around 1000 files from scratch. Lookups are pretty much instantaneous.
              There is fast directory browsing on Linux, too. Just use command line tools, you can even parallelize them if you start a parallel directory traversal for each distinct physical mount point. It's not hard if you know the 101 basics about computing. Kodi also used to be quite slow as a music player. Browsing a single directory (10 files) took few seconds per 3 MB file. You know, from SATA SSD on i7 4770k and 16 GB of RAM.

People just accept this shit nowadays. The app generation is full of clueless idiots. I started with mp3s on my 486DX66 and Winamp, it was a step up from scream tracker modules and midi. Now people have 4 GHz octa-core setups, 64 GB of RAM and NVMe SSD. The DACs support up to 64-bit audio @ several thousands of kilohertz. Still, everything may feel slow, slower than in 1995 on that particular 486DX. For instance my Android phone has 128 GB of storage. I decided to store all my ripped music on the internal storage so that I can play my fav music on road trips. A big fail. I couldn't find a single Android music player that won't die when browsing the music library. They're also slow as hell and crash prone. It's a mess.

Comment

Something doesnt sound right here. Im not a user of Music software so havent experienced sucg sluggishness but on modern hardware these ops should be near instantanoues.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

Clementine is a very good and much faster Amarok 1.4 replacement if you're interested.
                  As far as I've been able to tell (comparing it to moc and vlc), clementine has terrible sound quality; at least when playing FLACs

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Something doesnt sound right here. Im not a user of Music software so havent experienced sucg sluggishness but on modern hardware these ops should be near instantanoues.
                    Wrong. Multithreading helps when active thread count < core count, but if you browse a collection of 10 000 files and spawn 10 000 new threads in a second, the thread management grinds it all to a halt. The situation actually gets worse the more threads you have. A single barrier sync can take minutes of you have tens of thousands of threads.

Comment

Working...
                    X