Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Is Working On A "Large Directory" Option, Parallel Discards

Phoronix: EXT4 Is Working On A "Large Directory" Option, Parallel Discards

It's looking like the EXT4 file-system updates for the upcoming Linux 4.13 cycle could be a bit more interesting this time around...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Modifications on stable file systems make people nervous man. I'm not excited by this, I'm nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Modifications on stable file systems make people nervous man. I'm not excited by this, I'm nervous.
      Agreed...these changes need to be fully tested and debugged before being enabled by default. Perhaps through tune2fs these features can be enabled/disabled like the other filesystem features.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        If you use a stable distro with an LTS kernel you don't have anything to fear, people on Arch/Gentoo/whatever will slam their face on any bugs well before you.

Comment

Is it just me or are the EXT4 guys trying to copy the XFS guys?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            If you use a stable distro with an LTS kernel you don't have anything to fear, people on Arch/Gentoo/whatever will slam their face on any bugs well before you.
            Thank you Arch/Gentoo/whatever people for slam your face with the bugs so the rest of us don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Is it just me or are the EXT4 guys trying to copy the XFS guys?
              Ext4 more or less == Red Hat and XFS nowadays more or less == Red Hat. Makes sense that there is quite a bit of sharing there. And since Red Hat took an extreme interest in XFS as their "enterprise" filesystem, it really makes sense.

Comment

This seems like precisely the thing that will find its way into Fedora and will be considered for backporting to RHEL+Clones like CentOS and Scientific Linux when it's been sufficiently tested. Fedora is a technology testbed. You always have the latest cool stuff, but sometimes it's not baked. Sometimes they put it in when it's obviously broken.

Fedora 9 was the first to ship with KDE 4. Almost nothing worked right. In fact, it took until KDE 4.4 to get it to where you could run KDE it as your daily driver without serious problems.

The current feature that's not really ready but Fedora uses it anyway is Wayland, but there's a Gnome on Xorg session, so I have continued using that. Wayland is making progress though. Maybe in Fedora 27, I can enable it by default, but the Xorg session has no reason to be removed anytime soon. You still need the whole Xorg stack to enable XWayland, so it would make no sense to yank it out yet.

Comment

And what about a rolling distro with an LTS kernel (Solus, which I'm using)? I'm just trying to point out that not all rolling distros use a non-LTS kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    And what about a rolling distro with an LTS kernel (Solus, which I'm using)? I'm just trying to point out that not all rolling distros use a non-LTS kernel.
                    For "stable" I meant "focused on stability". Also Chakra is similar semi-rolling with a stable core.
                    Fedora isn't rolling but isn't for stability either.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 26 June 2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X