Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Simple Dive Into Vulkan Compute Programming

Phoronix: A Simple Dive Into Vulkan Compute Programming

While Vulkan is most often talked about for being a high-performance graphics API, it also has integrated compute capabilities -- and in fact, may be the future of OpenCL -- and is quite capable for GPGPU computing. There are countless Vulkan graphics tutorials and code samples out there, but for those interested in just Vulkan for compute, a Phoronix reader pointed me to a new simple/easy project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you, I've been waiting to see something like this since Vulkan came out.

Comment

Though I have absolutely nothing against using Vulkan for GPGPU tasks, is there any distinct advantage of it over OpenCL? Most OCL-based tasks could operate perfectly fine on a PCIe x1 slot (and as a result, don't tend to have much CPU overhead), and I get the impression OCL isn't currently that difficult to code for.

Comment

If you check the repository, it shows how to use a compute shader in Vulkan, besides the memory part of OpenCL, which else can't be done on a compute shader that is achievable with OpenCL? That is, what features I lose choosing Vulkan Compute Shader instead of OpenCL?

Comment

Working...
        X