Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO 17.20 Emerges With Vega, ROCm Compute Support

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 17.20 Emerges With Vega, ROCm Compute Support

Thanks to today's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition launch, AMD has released an updated AMDGPU-PRO Linux hybrid driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The amdgpu pro driver only supports enterprise distros (e.g., RHEL and LTS). That's always been the case. That's what workstation/server customers request.

Comment

There seems to be a typo. I think the mention of 17.04.2 should be 16.04.2.

Comment

To much disappointment, the AMDGPU-PRO 17.20 driver still doesn't appear to support the months-old Ubuntu 17.04... Ubuntu 17.04.2 is listed as supported along with RHEL/CentOS
        Minor typo...
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Minor typo...
          Yep fixed thanks,
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

bridgman How should you install the rocm platform exactly... ? (Can't get any opencl to work, Fiji).

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              The amdgpu pro driver only supports enterprise distros (e.g., RHEL and LTS). That's always been the case. That's what workstation/server customers request.
              I agree...
              Also, it would be more logical to only develop the enterprise-oriented capabilities in AMDGPU-PRO, and enable it to be installed alongside open drivers. I think you can already install AMD's openCL alongside MESA, but it might be more beneficial for everyone if AMD just endorsed the relevant MESA components as the official drivers for graphics.
              I do not know how much resources go into developing the general purpose part of AMDGPU-PRO, but they could be redirected towards developing closed-source enterprise features and general purpose open source work.

Comment

Newegg adjusted the prices. Officially, FE is now air cooled for $999. Look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

I agree...
                  Also, it would be more logical to only develop the enterprise-oriented capabilities in AMDGPU-PRO, and enable it to be installed alongside open drivers. I think you can already install AMD's openCL alongside MESA, but it might be more beneficial for everyone if AMD just endorsed the relevant MESA components as the official drivers for graphics.
                  I do not know how much resources go into developing the general purpose part of AMDGPU-PRO, but they could be redirected towards developing closed-source enterprise features and general purpose open source work.
                  Only works actually with a dkms blessed AMD kernel. Once the ROCm gets generic kernel dkms support then it will work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    We can only hope Linux users does not buy things because of Windows advertising They even got one button mode switch now

Last edited by dungeon; 27 June 2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X