Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVE-2017-9445: systemd Hit By New Security Vulnerability

Phoronix: CVE-2017-9445: systemd Hit By New Security Vulnerability

CVE-2017-9445 is regarding a vulnerability opened by systemd that could allow malicious actors to crash the program or run programs via a specially crafted DNS response...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Classic bait article. 10/10

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Classic bait article. 10/10
      Classic systemd fanboy response to a CVE concerning it. 1/10

Comment

WTF? I though that systemd was a process launcher meant to replace initd!!!!

Comment

Maybe the resolver ought to be written in Rust instead.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
            WTF? I though that systemd was a process launcher meant to replace initd!!!!
            I am not trying to sound snarky or anything. But since the world of the digital moves along, you have to move along with it.
            Just as you have to update your system, you have to update yourself (with information). That logic applies to anything (the latter).

Comment

At least they thought it was worthy of opening a CVE.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Maybe the resolver ought to be written in Rust instead.
                Well rust will reduce the attack surface but not eliminate it.

Comment

And this will be fixed in days(if not hours) by Red Hat. Unlike weeks for Microsoft or months for Apple when they get this type of bug.

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post

Well rust will reduce the attack surface but not eliminate it.
                    Rust would have eliminated this bug. And since these kind of bugs are by far the most common security bugs users should demand that more things get written in Rust.
                    I don't want my computer to crash or leak sensitive data just because some programmer can't bother to learn a new language or want to express their "art" in a specific way.

Comment

Working...
                    X