Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB Now Supports EXT4 File-Systems With Encryption

Phoronix: GRUB Now Supports EXT4 File-Systems With Encryption

The GRUB bootloader now supports file-systems making use of EXT4 file-system encryption but where the boot files are left unencrypted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If the boot files have to be unencrypted I'm not really sure how this is any different than a separate boot partition. After fully booting /boot is of course mounted so it would look the same to the end-user. The only advantage I can see is you don't need to decide how much space to give /boot or if you're running MBR you can stay under the 4 primary partition limit if that matters to you. Maybe there are other use cases, but for most users I don't think this is going to change much.

Comment

It will make sure you don't get bitten by grub if you just happen to experiment with encryption on your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by zeroepoch View Post
        If the boot files have to be unencrypted I'm not really sure how this is any different than a separate boot partition. After fully booting /boot is of course mounted so it would look the same to the end-user. The only advantage I can see is you don't need to decide how much space to give /boot or if you're running MBR you can stay under the 4 primary partition limit if that matters to you. Maybe there are other use cases, but for most users I don't think this is going to change much.
        For one that did live with a way to small (300 MB) boot partition for little over a year and an encrypted LVM next to it, making it next to impossible to fix that without reformat (which I eventually did) this is surely welcome news.
        Sure, having such a pity boot partition is just idiotic but I used the automatic option in Ubuntus installer and did not check the result and did then pay for my laziness...

Comment

Working...
        X