Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Announces Pop!_OS Linux Distribution, To Be Shipped On Their Future PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Announces Pop!_OS Linux Distribution, To Be Shipped On Their Future PCs

Phoronix: System76 Announces Pop!_OS Linux Distribution, To Be Shipped On Their Future PCs

Longtime Linux laptop/desktop vendor System76 known for their Ubuntu-loaded systems has gone public today with their new operating system called "Pop!_OS", which in just a matter of months will begin appearing on their new products...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I will say it first: Very Very stupid move. We dont need ANOTHER new linux distro THATS SUPER BORING with same UI, same apps, same methods, but still "has its own ui theme and icons" . Holy Shit this is becoming so stupid. In that announcement there werent even any reasons why, or what they want to achieve, they just use those modern trendy words like focus on creators, 3d, ai, yes wow, I can do all that shit on any distro. You got nothing to offer thats SPECIAL.

BTW that wallpaper reminds me so very hard about the national flag of kazahstan... omg
    Last edited by gotwig; 29 June 2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Wow, a name even worse than PCLinuxOS. I didn't think this is possible.

Comment

So... they'll port KDE Connect to GTK?

Comment

Everybody, everybody, everybody wants to be Ap-ple! Alleluiah!
          Sang over https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNJ4NkqwOII

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
            I will say it first: Very Very stupid move. We dont need ANOTHER new linux distro THATS SUPER BORING with same UI, same apps, same methods, but still "has its own ui theme and icons" . Holy Shit this is becoming so stupid. In that announcement there werent even any reasons why, or what they want to achieve, they just use those modern trendy words like focus on creators, 3d, ai, yes wow, I can do all that shit on any distro. You got nothing to offer thats SPECIAL.

BTW that wallpaper reminds me so very hard about the national flag of kazahstan... omg
            Couldn't they just contact Cannonical and tell them to include their theme and icons in the OS, do some tweaks to the installer for their OEM installs, then get some maintainers into Ubuntu team and have those "open source software and development tools" they're talking about maintained on their behalf, if that's what they want so badly? If they want rolling release they could do the same for Manjaro I guess.

Wouldn't that save a lot of money?

Comment

i had to check the date to make sure we werent still in 2009. But seriously this just reminds me of the 101 ubuntu remixes from back then that would change some colors, icons and some default programs and call themselves news distros.

Comment

Personally, I think it's a great move. Canonical has stopped putting resources into their desktop and instead just let Gnome do their thing. System76 has to think about its customers and being able to provide a consistent interface for them that they can support, making their own Ubuntu spin allows them to do that, without being at the mercy of Canonical or Gnome. From what it sounds like, it's going to be like a Gnome version of Neon, where it has a stable base, but with rolling DE packages that have been tweaked by System 76.

Comment

This sounds like an analogy for Cyanogenmod and Oxygen OS (fork of Cyanogenmod created by Oneplus).
                  ​​​​​

Comment

Wow, an unpronounceable name with two pieces of punctuation, one of which was kept from the typewriter days when you could overstrike a character.

Comment

Working...
                    X