Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Excites Me The Most About The Linux 4.12 Kernel

Phoronix: What Excites Me The Most About The Linux 4.12 Kernel

If all goes according to plan, the Linux 4.12 kernel will be officially released before the weekend is through. Here's a recap of some of the most exciting changes for this imminent kernel update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and even support for the old Motoroa DROID4.

Comment

BFQ is the main thing I'm excited about.

Comment

Btrfs raid 5/6 fixes!

Comment

Hmm. Will have to see whether KASLR causes further issues on Ryzen.

Comment

How does one activate bfq?
            Code:
            $ echo bfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
            bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
            $ echo deadline > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
            $ echo cfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
            $ uname -a
            Linux ubuntu 4.12.0-041200rc7-generic #201706252231 SMP Mon Jun 26 02:33:00 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            elevator=bfq didn't work in /etc/default/grub either, any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Create a custom kernel package, with the make xconfig command you can activate/deactivate what you want. See the 2. msg:
              https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...in-living-room
              Thanks for the reply. I thought I didn't need to since it was included in the 4.12 kernel, I'm running the latest RC7 at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                How does one activate bfq?
                First you have to switch to multiqueue block layer: put scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=y on the kernel command line. Then you will be able to echo "bfq" to queue/scheduler.

Comment

Now I know full well that KASLR has already been hacked, and is trivial to get around, but damn it, it's about Fing time.I wouldn't go so far as to claim the same thing for userspace ASLR, anymore, but for kernel space KASLR, this needed to be defaulted a long time ago. The only reason it wasn't was because of a really stupid retarded argument. In fact I'm really surprised it got defaulted at all, but thank goodness for it.

Comment

I guess if you switch to blk-mq scheduler using kernel parameters, blk-mq should be visible in sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

Comment

Working...
                    X