Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Saw A Notable Decline For June 2017

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Saw A Notable Decline For June 2017

Valve's monthly Steam Survey metrics show a relatively large decline in the Linux market-share for the past month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Windows XP 32 bit still has more - 0.76%

Is the Linux capable to finally beat dead horse next month, is yet to be seen After that next targets should be other 32bit Windowses, OSX can't also beat Windows 7 32bit
    Last edited by dungeon; 01 July 2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Maybe more gamers are emerging, due to the school season being over? (all of them using Windows, of course)

Comment

i would not take that too much to heart seeing that survey isn't given to everyone and alot of people just ignore it,i am willing to bet the linux usage is alot higher than there saying.

Comment

Vulkan and OGL drivers are still not up to spec, plus lots of games have been pulling out of developing for Linux because the engine they use has faults and doesn't work under Linux like advertised (UE4/CryEngine). Its unfortunate, but Linux desktop and gaming has still not got out of the HARD times arena.

Hopefully in a year things will just work out of the box without needing bleeding edge drivers or work around patches, or have your steam library break from week to week.

Comment

that steam survey is never accurate,we have more than that for sure.

Comment

Guess why, I updated recently and it crashes on start when rebuilding font cache.

Comment

I've been using Maui Linux lately and its been good (KDE has had a few display freezes however) but still not happy with the 4k performance and my FuryX (mesa17.2git). It's definitely got better but there are some severe fps drops and configuration issues still, and plenty of developers are still not taking MESA seriously thus performance issues. Works pretty reasonably at 1080p but that is vomit inducing on a 4k screen IMO.

Given the recent Vega FE benchmarks, I really doubt VEGA is going to be a worthy 4k card for Linux users either. Sigh, bit of a shame. I'll just wait it out and see what develops over 2017 with AMD. If they drop out of the high end card market for good then I guess 1080Ti will be my only choice for 4k gaming. Not what I wanted.
                Last edited by theriddick; 01 July 2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

The numbers must be decent enough, cause Feral is somehow making enough to keep continuing porting big titles to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by vipor29 View Post
                    that steam survey is never accurate,we have more than that for sure.
                    Maybe up to 7% at best dreams according to netmarketshare, as there is room for speculation for Other but even that goes down it seems

Regulary they counting increase for linux in this period from 1.99% it is at 2.36% now But anything in between 2% up to 7% is free to be speculated per area i guess
                    Last edited by dungeon; 01 July 2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X