Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL2 Brought To QNX 7.0

Phoronix: SDL2 Brought To QNX 7.0

For fans of the QNX operating system, SDL2 mainline can now run on QNX 7.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a waste. Better use Linux. There is no reason to use QNX.
    It is better to use Linux or BSD which are open source, than QNX which is proprietary.

There is no reason why anyone would want to use QNX.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It is better to use Linux or BSD which are open source, than QNX which is proprietary.

Neither of your alternatives are realtime OSes. Also, embedded systems are not an afterthought for QNX either. Also your alternatives use monolithic kernels where some bug in kernel code that is not actually core to the kernel can crash the whole kernel.

Comment

Judging from the scale of ignorance, I bet you are one of these anti systemd guys as well

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

Judging from the scale of ignorance, I bet you are one of these anti systemd guys as well
          I think that you are somewhat confused. The systemd supporters tend to be the ignorant ones after all.

Comment

There is two kinds of ignorant: the one who knows he ignores, the one who ignores he ignores, the last believe he knows.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

A typical systemd zealot, A guy has a perfectly valid opinion on something completely unrelated to systemd in every possible way and you equate that with he must be a systemd hater...... ioy

Comment

My, my, how quickly this thread turned into a cesspool.

Back on topic, since Blackberry is not having success with their mobile strategies, it is quite possible they will eventually sell.
                How likely do you believe it for the one who buys them to decide to open source QNX?
                There are several possible candidates: Apple, Samsung, Google, etc.
                Should they be purchased by Apple it will be for the patents and maybe for QNX in cars if Apple has plans for electric cars. If it is only for the patents, the tech will rot away.
                But what if Samsung or someone else buys them?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

A typical systemd zealot, A guy has a perfectly valid opinion on something completely unrelated to systemd in every possible way and you equate that with he must be a systemd hater...... ioy
                  Are you trying to argue that "There is no reason why anyone would want to use QNX" is a perfectly valid opinion? Tell that to their huge paying customer base. The statement is simply wrong, I guess that makes you both ignorant and looks like I was spot on with regards to systemd as well

LAS VEGAS, 2015 International CES (North Hall, Booth 2231), January 5, 2015QNX Software Systems Limited, a subsidiary of BlackBerry Limited, today announced that its software has been deployed in the infotainment and telematics systems of more than 50 million vehicles, including brands such as Acura, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Toyota, and Volkswagen. Moreover, a new report, “Software platforms: Building blocks for infotainment success,” from IHS Automotive names QNX as the premier software supplier in the infotainment market, with more than 50 percent market share.

Comment

Don't forget QNX is everywhere and has big big corporate backup to stand behind liability claims.

Car manufacturers might choose it to run their in-car infotainment systems because it's already running the rest of the car (the engine, the air conditioning, the windshield wipers) and they don;t have to have in-house expertise on multiple OSes.

QNX flies your airplanes, runs your therapeutic radiation machines, your racktop switches, and your industrial robots. Some of those things need millions and millions in indemnity assurance -- after all, if the kernel running your flight control software causes your airliner to crash or causes your Therac-25 to literally fry patients, you're going to need lots of lawyers. You're not going to get that from Linux.

Linux is not a pre-emptable kernel, and Linux is not a hard real-time kernel. Same for the BSDs.

Also, if rumour is to be believed (and my sources are pretty credible), Apple is using QNX as the kernel for its self-driving cars. It's not a coincidence they located their self-driving car lab right next door to the QNX headquarters.
                    Last edited by bregma; 03 July 2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X