Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs In Linux 4.13 Brings Statx Support, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Btrfs In Linux 4.13 Brings Statx Support, Other Improvements

The Btrfs file-system updates for the Linux 4.13 kernel have been submitted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been using BTRFS for a while and love it. But although I personally never had any problems with it, some people have, so it would be better if the changelog for at least one release cycle was all about fixing remaining bugs and corner cases, rather than a zillion new features.

Comment

Will Btrfs replace ext4 in all major distros (RH derived, Debian derived) or it's going to be a special thing ?

I mean do we expect ext5 any time soon?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        it would be better if the changelog for at least one release cycle was all about fixing remaining bugs and corner cases, rather than a zillion new features.
        lol, you've just invented method to produce bugfree software

Comment

I've been using BTRFS for a while and love it. But although I personally never had any problems with it, some people have, so it would be better if the changelog for at least one release cycle was all about fixing remaining bugs and corner cases, rather than a zillion new features.
          I don't see that zilion of features, if I would like something to have in "short time" that would be lz4 / zstd compression support and proper defragmentation without data bloat...

Comment

I've been using btrfs for years, but I do have 1 problem. No file swap. On the few occasions I wished I could add swap on-the-fly, turns out, no you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by nbecker View Post
              I've been using btrfs for years, but I do have 1 problem. No file swap. On the few occasions I wished I could add swap on-the-fly, turns out, no you can't.
              You can. Create the swap file, then use losetup to create a loop device and then mkswap/swapon on the loop device. It isn't as fast as swap files directly on other filesystems, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by nbecker View Post
                Only safe and performing way is to resize btrfs volume and add a swap partition. This can be done while the btrfs partitions are mounted too.

Comment

If you follow the mailinglist you will find that not many seems to have issues with metadata+data raid1 with more than three disks (because btrfs need to be able to create two copies to avoid a dead end read-only situation). Recently it seems that metadata=raid1 and data=raid5/6 is even worth the risk for the brave. I am however not that brave yet , but getting the extra storage gain is tempting as hell.
                  Actually the BTRFS devs is all about fixing bugs and improving the existing features these days. Not as fun for us who want raid5/6 functionality , but mdadm is not bad at all (in fact it is pretty fantastic and rock solid).

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin A. View Post
                    Will Btrfs replace ext4 in all major distros (RH derived, Debian derived) or it's going to be a special thing ?

I mean do we expect ext5 any time soon?
                    Theodore Ts'o (the ext4 author) stated back in 2008 that btrfs is the better direction. BTRFS will probably be just as good if not better when EXT5 (if it ever happens) gets mature enough. XFS is perhaps worth a look if you want to try to see if something else tastes better.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                    X