Windows 10 WSL vs. VirtualBox Ubuntu Performance On An Intel Core i9 7900X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 WSL vs. VirtualBox Ubuntu Performance On An Intel Core i9 7900X

Phoronix: Windows 10 WSL vs. VirtualBox Ubuntu Performance On An Intel Core i9 7900X

Going beyond last week's Intel Core i9 7900X Skylake-X Linux distribution comparison, here are some complementary tests when trying out the latest Windows 10 Insider Build with its Bash/Windows Subsystem for Linux featuring Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Additionally, some comparison results when running Windows 10 with VirtualBox and then an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS guest, all from this i9-7900X high-end desktop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny to see "mingw-ized" Ubuntu outperform bare metal version of the same Ubuntu in _multiple_ test scenarios. Safe/poor selection of default compiler flags by Canonical?
    Last edited by reavertm; 05 July 2017, 12:38 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

I hope WSL never beats Linux. Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      When it comes to CPU workloads, WSL tended to be very competitive with tbe bare metal Linux installations.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
        Funny to see "mingw-ized" Ubuntu outperform bare metal version of the same Ubuntu in _multiple_ test scenarios. Safe/poor selection of default compiler flags by Canonical?
        What system here is "mingw-ized"?

Comment

The last time I used Bash for Windows I couldn't use Git, I think the issue was SSL wasn't available. Has that been fixed yet does anyone know?

Comment

...and what exactly is WSL ?

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

It isn't "mingw-ized". The binaries are the same than running on linux, except they run against the windows kernel, like wine in reverse. Keep in mind also that software running in wine is sometimes faster than running on Windows.

Comment

WSL by default uses the real Canonical binaries. This is not recompiling like mingw.

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                ...and what exactly is WSL ?
                Microsoft have implemented bits of the Linux kernel ABI so you can run linux binaries on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
                  Microsoft have implemented bits of the Linux kernel ABI so you can run linux binaries on windows.
                  Ah that, got it ! thanks

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I love Clear Linux's download page. It's a good example of why Linux will never be popular because of the confusing number of varieties

Comment

Working...
                    X