Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Vega & Raven Ridge AMDGPU Fixes Set For Linux 4.13

Phoronix: More Vega & Raven Ridge AMDGPU Fixes Set For Linux 4.13

Alex Deucher of AMD has submitted some AMDGPU driver fixes to queue up in DRM-Next for the Linux 4.13 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You keep mentioning no DC/DAL so no support. But we can grab amd-mainline or amd-staging and use it with the open source drivers correct? It won't be a pro only launch will it?

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
      You keep mentioning no DC/DAL so no support. But we can grab amd-mainline or amd-staging and use it with the open source drivers correct? It won't be a pro only launch will it?
      Yes, it works just fine with the open source stack using amd-staging-4.11.

Comment

I think one of the reasons it's so important to have it in mainline is to not be forced to use whatever kernel version that AMD picks. Sometimes I need to upgrade kernel versions to get access to newer drivers, enhanced compatibility, etc, and it would be very inconvenient to not be able to do so. In that respect, the DAL-specific kernel is no better than proprietary drivers that don't work with the latest kernels.

Note that this isn't meant as a disparagement. I realize that DAL will be integrated eventually; I'm just talking about the downsides of being forced to use a specific kernel.

Comment

Yes, the savvy users here can do that, but the average user wants to just download the latest Ubuntu/Fedora/etc and have things work out of the box. Even the development versions won't have support for Vega for months after the cards are launched.

Comment

That works as long as you're happy to compile your own 4.11 kernel and backport all relevant bug and security fixes yourself. It's a pretty big blocker to any serious widespread use.

Comment

Aye, I realise it's not the most ideal solution. But I've already been running amd-staging for a few months to try out radv on my lowly Pitcairn gpu. I'm eagerly waiting for something a bit beefier to power my 1440p/144Hz monitor, Vega will be perfect for me if it runs @ GTX 1080 speeds or higher. I don't mind running amd-staging for now, but hopefully it won't be necessary in the near future.

Comment

Raven Ridge dounds very interesting. It will be intereeting to see how Vega works as an integrated GPU.

Comment

what is the proper method for cloning this tree ?
                  git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux seems to be missing all the relevant drm files.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
                    what is the proper method for cloning this tree ?
                    git clone git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux seems to be missing all the relevant drm files.
                    git clone -b drm-next-4.13 git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux

Comment

Working...
                    X