Windows Management Instrumentation Now A Formal Bus With Linux 4.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Management Instrumentation Now A Formal Bus With Linux 4.13

Phoronix: Windows Management Instrumentation Now A Formal Bus With Linux 4.13

Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) support has been worked on within Linux drivers in the past while now with Linux 4.13 WMI has been reworked into its own proper bus...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for posting the MSDN link. I have seem WMI around for years but I had no idea what it was for.

Comment

So... SSH Microsoft edition?

Comment

I would hate to think of a bus without a proper driver.

Comment

So according to wikipedia the practical application of this:

"WMI allows scripting languages (such as ABScript or Windows PowerShell) to manage Microsoft Windows personal computers and servers, both locally and remotely."

This already seemed pretty straight forward to do on Linux, so I guess another way?

Comment

Isn't this WMI the method some of the recent malware in the news spreads between windows machines?

Comment

Originally posted by BillT View Post
              Isn't this WMI the method some of the recent malware in the news spreads between windows machines?
              You're thinking of Intel's Management Engine (ME).

I'm kind of surprised WMI is making it into Linux. Didn't think it actually needed to be baked into drivers. It provides interfaces for querying, reading and writing to different parts of the system from a whole host of languages and runtimes. But it's not exactly the prettiest or nicest thing in Windows.

Comment

Maybe this is a way to make linux more hackable, a paid developer that introduces an uneeded insecure feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post

I'm kind of surprised WMI is making it into Linux.
                  It's been in Linux for quite some time, as a lot of laptop features (rfkill switches, brightness, ...) are implemented as ACPI WMI devices. The initial implementation
                  was crude but working for the laptop cases. This nice patchset makes it less hackish, and will make writing laptop feature drivers a bit simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

It's been in Linux for quite some time, as a lot of laptop features (rfkill switches, brightness, ...) are implemented as ACPI WMI devices. The initial implementation
                    was crude but working for the laptop cases. This nice patchset makes it less hackish, and will make writing laptop feature drivers a bit simpler.

Ah, so it's baked into the system firmware. BIOS and EFI aren't exactly strangers to sub-optimal implementations. It's a shame that we need WMI, but at least the implementation that we're using is being improved. Thanks for the extra info!

Comment

Working...
                    X