Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Driver Getting Fixes For An Upcoming Feral Linux Game

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Getting Fixes For An Upcoming Feral Linux Game

NIR expert Connor Abbott who is working for Valve this summer and in particular RADV Vulkan features has published a new patch series today that also confirms another upcoming Feral Linux game using Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To be clear, I don't have any more knowledge about upcoming Feral titles than anyone else. Alex had already noticed some problems with shared variable handling, and sent out some fixes to mesa-dev. I was already going to do the rewrite, so I sent an earlier version of my series to him and he confirmed it fixed the issue as well. I guess I should've been more careful with the wording.

Comment

Originally posted by cwabbott View Post
      To be clear, I don't have any more knowledge about upcoming Feral titles than anyone else. Alex had already noticed some problems with shared variable handling, and sent out some fixes to mesa-dev. I was already going to do the rewrite, so I sent an earlier version of my series to him and he confirmed it fixed the issue as well. I guess I should've been more careful with the wording.
      But a man can dream.. to get another good Feral game on Linux, a man can dream

Comment

Glad to see the RADV driver improving especially before a new release from Feral! At the moment I would buy a game just because Vulkan support on Linux :-)

Comment

Well, that further pushes my opinion that the next title will be the most recent Tomb Rider, because it uses DX12 on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Well, that further pushes my opinion that the next title will be the most recent Tomb Rider, because it uses DX12 on Windows.
            That seems like a good logical guess, although, Mad Max in Windows wasn't even DX12, but they were able to port it to Vulkan with huge performance increases.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              Glad to see the RADV driver improving especially before a new release from Feral! At the moment I would buy a game just because Vulkan support on Linux :-)
              I started out with the same mind-set. I have since decided to hold off buying any more of their games. We really need some DRM-free versions (i.e. non-Steam).

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post

That seems like a good logical guess, although, Mad Max in Windows wasn't even DX12, but they were able to port it to Vulkan with huge performance increases.
                Feral does communicate a lot on their DX11-to-Vulkan expertise: they advertise their ability to wrap pretty much any DX11 rendering path in Vulkan (on top of doing it using OpenGL, in which they've a proven mastery of the subject - reimplementing TressFX 1 and 3, the latter originally depending on DirectCompute, is quite an achievement, eventhough to the regret of Phenom II X6 owners it requires SSSE3).

The acknowledged goal is to save CPU cycles over the classic DX11-to-OpenGL type of wrapper that is most commonly used. DX11 on Windows wasn't known to save CPU cycles either, thus why the OpenGL route usually had little impact - yet Vulkan saves even more cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by bwyan View Post

I started out with the same mind-set. I have since decided to hold off buying any more of their games. We really need some DRM-free versions (i.e. non-Steam).
                  DRM is bad, I agree... but games are anyway proprietary so the must to run a game trough Steam doesn't make it much worse. A game with a real locked down DRM is another topic. I started off avoiding games at all as of proprietary drivers. But obviously this has changed now, so I'm willing to support the development with some hardware and game purchases ;-) If I would consider only non-Steam games, the Vulkan games would be 0 (as far as I know) except maybe vkquake.

Comment

Working...
                  X