Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Linux Laptop Survey Results

Phoronix: 2017 Linux Laptop Survey Results

Following the two week survey process, here are the results from our inaugural Linux Laptop Survey. There are 30,171 responses, a lot of data to now sift through while in this article is an overview of the initial findings. There may be some additional follow-up articles in the days/weeks ahead when sifting through more of the data.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Definitely Coreboot support. Willing to pay more for it.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Typo

1.6^ instead of 1.6%

Also, what's up with the graphs? Only odd lines are labeled...

And what's up with the multiple Intel + NVIDIA options in the GPU question?

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
        Typo

1.6^ instead of 1.6%

Also, what's up with the graphs? Only odd lines are labeled...

And what's up with the multiple Intel + NVIDIA options in the GPU question?
        Thanks, fixed ^/% typo.

That for some reason is how Google Forms' graphs show the data... These are all graphs straight from Google Forms and not from Phoronix/PTS. When mousing over though on the graphs it tells the identifier, but unfortunately not aware of any way to natively embed Google Forms graphs into e.g. this article.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael could you post a link to the "raw" data?

Comment

In the "What brand laptop do you currently own?" chart, Dell isn't appearing anywhere, instead, all the other brand labels are shifted up (tough the percentages match with your description).
            In the beginning you mentioned Dell selling various Linux laptops, and when I saw that Dell wasn't listed in the chart I was wondering…

Cheers

Comment

As I replaced Windows for my distro of choice as soon as get my laptop, I can't assess the shorter battery life as I don't have a number to compare with.

As laptops are expensive where I live, most of people use some cheaper laptop, with intel parts from 2013~2014, which probably would cost US$300 in USA, but here with taxes and everything they cost at least US$ 500.

So the 4 hours of battery life usually is the expected time for such laptop model.

Comment

I can't believe nobody uses Dells or Arch Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by nimroot View Post
                  I can't believe nobody uses Dells or Arch Linux.
                  Read the article, Google Forms charts just don't show some identifiers but I mention all of the details in the text.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatiamus View Post
                    In the "What brand laptop do you currently own?" chart, Dell isn't appearing anywhere, instead, all the other brand labels are shifted up (tough the percentages match with your description).
                    In the beginning you mentioned Dell selling various Linux laptops, and when I saw that Dell wasn't listed in the chart I was wondering…

Cheers
                    Read the article & https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...676#post961676
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X