Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity Dropping DirectX/Direct3D 9 Support

Phoronix: Unity Dropping DirectX/Direct3D 9 Support

Unity has announced that with their Unity 2017.3 game engine later this year they will be dropping DirectX 9 support. It has a few possible implications for Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dead XP horse is still stronk

Comment

Or more broadly, if more game engines begin dropping D3D9 support, hopefully they will be considering OpenGL or Vulkan more seriously in order to target the broadest possible hardware/user base.
      I really hope so. At least Star Citizen is going this direction - hopefully many others will follow.

Comment

There are no DX9-only cards with official support anymore, it's OK. XP is dead too, can't even boot on modern hardware.

Comment

...developers still wanting to target Windows XP support...
          I loled so hard.
          Last edited by bug77; 10 July 2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

To play Fallout Shelter on Linux with Wine, we have to force the game to D3D9. The funny thing is according to the Steam forums, the switch to D3D11 also broke the game for many Windows users. I don’t think more devs will start using GL and Vulkan, I just think we’ll get more broken games .

Comment

You can force windows builds of Unity games to run with OpenGL using the '-force-opengl' option(on older builds) or the '-force-glcore' option on newer builds, fyi.

Comment

gallium 9 seems rather slow lately.
                I don't see it completed any time soon,if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  You can force windows builds of Unity games to run with OpenGL using the '-force-opengl' option(on older builds) or the '-force-glcore' option on newer builds, fyi.
                  Doesn’t work with Fallout Shelter at least. Broken shaders, it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                    gallium 9 seems rather slow lately.
                    I don't see it completed any time soon,if at all.
                    Well for me, it runs all the DX9 titles I've tried and runs them very well. It's holiday season as well, so maybe people are taking a break.

Comment

Working...
                    X