Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Are Now More Than 1,200 Vulkan Projects On GitHub

Phoronix: There Are Now More Than 1,200 Vulkan Projects On GitHub

It was in April that GitHub crossed the threshold of having 1,000 projects referencing Vulkan while today they have crossed the milestone of 1,200 projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think the DirectX counts are not really representative. I would say the type of person who is going to have their code on Github is more likely to be the type of person who is going to choose OpenGL or Vulkan. Those figures are like standing outside Walmart and surveying passers by what store they prefer to shop at.

I still think it represents good progress though. What we really need is more commercial games to release with it, preferably not just as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      I think the DirectX counts are not really representative. I would say the type of person who is going to have their code on Github is more likely to be the type of person who is going to choose OpenGL or Vulkan. Those figures are like standing outside Walmart and surveying passers by what store they prefer to shop at.

I still think it represents good progress though. What we really need is more commercial games to release with it, preferably not just as an option.
      Its also a question of how many acronyms of directX you type into githubs search box. I just tried it. Michael just gave up to early. Try things like:
      dx
      directX
      direct3d
      d3d

now try all those with an additional number like 9, 10, 11, 12 .... add those up and you get almost the same number as openGL+ogl projects. If you want to compare vulkan to version 12 only, vulkan still wins by quite a margin. Adding the 12 versions gives about 230 projects on github. So the walmart-factor you mention is also important

Comment

Working...
      X