Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes That You Won't Find In Linux 4.13

Phoronix: Changes That You Won't Find In Linux 4.13

The Linux 4.13 merge window is nearing the end and while there is a lot of new features/changes, there is some functionality that you won't find in this next version of the upstream Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, The comment link in the article links to the forum instead of this thread.

What else would you have liked to see in Linux 4.13? Share your thoughts with us in the forums.
    Hardware video acceleration for GCN1.0 gpus on amdgpu kernel driver.

Comment

RyZen is at least operating pretty well for basic functionality in Linux but it's a little disappointing that they can't even get simple temperature monitoring working.

Especially when Epyc servers are going to be using Linux heavily and temperature monitoring is even more critical in a 32 core enterprise system.

Comment

Bcachefs - While this file-system that morphed out of the Bcache code continues picking up new features, it has yet to be merged into the mainline kernel.
        How can this be? I read from another thread that truckloads of people are already switching from Btrfs to Bcachefs and XFS since they want a stable, production quality filesystem with snapshots, COW, deduplication, transparent compression, encryption, and super fast and safe write hole free RAID6.
        Last edited by caligula; 14 July 2017, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          How can this be? I read from another thread that truckloads of people are already switching from Btrfs to Bcachefs and XFS since they want a stable, production quality filesystem with snapshots, COW, deduplication, transparent compression, encryption, and super fast and safe write hole free RAID6.
          LOL, are you really this PR blinded? Becachefs is in it‘s baby days.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            RyZen is at least operating pretty well for basic functionality in Linux but it's a little disappointing that they can't even get simple temperature monitoring working.

Especially when Epyc servers are going to be using Linux heavily and temperature monitoring is even more critical in a 32 core enterprise system.
            The motherboard sensor seems pretty accurate, at least in my case. It may be off by a few degrees but accuracy is somewhat irrelevant as long as the cooling system works properly. In other words, as long as the motherboard can monitor and compensate the direct CPU temperature, that's all that matters. That being said, whether AMD addresses this issue in a timely manner or not, I don't think this will be a problem for servers. Many servers I've seen seem to only have 3 fan speeds: full, low, and off. When it comes to servers, if you have temperature issues, you've got something else bigger to worry about.

Comment

RichACL support it looks like

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma
                Support for GLVND on all AMD GPU (kernel) drivers.
                GLVND has nothing to do with the kernel. It's all handled in userspace (mesa and X for example).

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post
                  Michael, The comment link in the article links to the forum instead of this thread.

Hardware video acceleration for GCN1.0 gpus on amdgpu kernel driver.
                  +1 for Hardware video acceleration for GCN 1.0 GPUs on AMDGPU kernel driver.

Support for GLVND on all AMD GPU (kernel) drivers.

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                  RichACL support it looks like
                  +1 for RichACL support

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

you won´t monitor the many HPC- or serversystems temperatures with gui- or commandline-tools, do you? I would think that those systems would ring a bell or throttle down automatically due to settings in the bios/efi.
                    it would only be useful for overclocking or personal workstations that crash in summer months. but the enterprises / HPCs I know keep their servers in special rooms which are temperature monitored as a whole.
                    Last edited by tomtomme; 14 July 2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X