Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10: Continued Work On VA-API, Switching To GDM

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10: Continued Work On VA-API, Switching To GDM

Will Cooke of Canonical has posted the latest weekly status update concerning happenings for the desktop on Ubuntu 17.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some gnome applications are working and very much usable, but gdm is not at all.
    Just install it eg. on a pi and you'll see it takes longer to start than lxde. And much longer than LightDM. Why would someone decide to use this software?
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Also Debian derivatives are a waste of human resources.
    I do not think so, i really like Lubuntu, it is a good preconfigured LXDE installation with a nice icon theme and design. (much better than installing LXDE on Debian) But i would like it if they'd decide to switch to Debian as their base. (on the other hand Ldebian is hard to say )

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Also Debian derivatives are a waste of human resources.
      Yes, all those people using them should be using Windows. They could use Windows XP. It's more recent than libs in Debian stable.

Comment

XFCE stability? Good joke. When I try to open anything in Thunar the whole desktop gets locked. Customization also is a joke in XFCE and XFWM themes are mostly ugly and decades old, except for about one of them. I also never could get VSync to work with XFWM, because apparently it's too complicated to get such a basic feature (NB: KWin is superior). I regret getting it on my laptop. If I want something light and usable, next time I'm using a tiling WM.

Comment

LightDM, GDM, SDDM... I had issues with all of them in the past, especially because of graphic drivers. So I guess none of them is perfect.

Comment

Well, since they plan to use GNOME and GDM is short of GNOME Display Manager and only that work properly with systemd/logind/xrootless/etc... it make sense all these shits scenario to came together

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              I know it's kind of silly, but I've been using the same DVD-RW mini-DVDs for my Linux distros for the last 10 years. Now I have to use big honkin' DVDs because all the Ubuntu flavors are over 1.4GB Keeping my fingers crossed they "demoted" enough packages from the install media to get the size back down.

Many laptops don't even come with DVD drives these days so I guess most people are installing from flash drives.
              You bet people are using pendrives/flashdrives/whatever. Is a lot faster to write and is much better once it is running. I recently bought a nice Lexar P20, very fast, to install all the distros I need in one flashdrive, using YUMI. Heck, even all the Windows ISOs and whatever bootable tool I need, can be shoved in those 32GB.

Unless you really need it man, send those DVD's away and use a flashdrive. You will not look back.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                (NB: KWin is superior)
                Then why does its rendering stutter when compositing OpenGL applications? https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381444
                I have to use kwin with compton because of that...

Comment

Originally posted by QuImUfu View Post
                  Some gnome applications are working and very much usable, but gdm is not at all.
                  Just install it eg. on a pi and you'll see it takes longer to start than lxde. And much longer than LightDM. Why would someone decide to use this software?
                  Developers don't care. Your new machine will have 8 to 16 cores, 64 gigs of RAM, and 12 TB hard drives. There's plenty of headroom for GDM to grow. If it slows down, buy a faster NVMe SSD. Maybe new NVMe version will support 10+ GB/s SSD drives.

Comment

They use it because no-one wants to run this on Pi... if you do want to, then I think that's the perfect example of a user error: the Pi was not intended to run a "modern" desktop environment and "modern" desktop environments were not meant to be run on the Pi. You have other options, end of story.

Besides... people keep throwing about adjectives like "resource-hog" and "power hungry" when it comes to most newer desktop environments, but the fact is that this "resource hogging" hardly matters on any hardware that was released in the past five years. Some older or extremely low powered hardware might struggle with Plasma 5, Unity or Gnome 3, but you can't (and shouldn't) rein in the mainstream desktop development for the sake of backwards compatibility with hardware that is hardly in use anymore. Even the heaviest linux systems use much less than 1GB of RAM after boot and tick away on <10% CPU usage, which is already pretty low resource draw considering what you can do with such a system.

The beauty of FOSS is that it offers light-weight and even modern (looking at you, LXQt) solutions as well besides the mainstream ones. But in a world where 4-8GB RAM is pretty standard on most computers you can't force those lightweight solutions down the throat of the masses just because they use 100-200MB less RAM. Frankly speaking, most people don't care that much about resource utilization, and the benefit of a light weight DE goes up in a puff of smoke once you open up a web browser or any other application using the internet (Spotify, Skype, etc.).

(on the other hand Ldebian is hard to say )
                    LDebian is hard to pronounce, but LX-DEbian seems like a half decent name for a distro.
                    Or you could get a French project lead and call it L'Debianne. Fancy.

Comment

Working...
                    X