Mageia 6 Officially Released, Now Defaults To GRUB 2 & KDE Plasma 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 6 Officially Released, Now Defaults To GRUB 2 & KDE Plasma 5

Phoronix: Mageia 6 Officially Released, Now Defaults To GRUB 2 & KDE Plasma 5

The Mageia Linux distribution derived from Mandriva and its lineage back to Mandrake is now out with their long-awaited Version 6 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
    If you want KDE from RPM packages it's still the way to go.
    I'm wondering what does RPM packages add to KDE.
    (no offence intended to Mageia, KDE or RPM packages)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      If I remember right Mandriva had a really cool tool called urpmi. It probably is the best rpm package manager, at least imo from the time I tried it anyway. It's the way to go. I believe Mageia is still using it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

If I remember right Mandriva had a really cool tool called urpmi. It probably is the best rpm package manager, at least imo from the time I tried it anyway. It's the way to go. I believe Mageia is still using it.
        They are moving away from urpmi to dnf.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Mageia 6 Officially Released, Now Defaults To GRUB 2 & KDE Plasma 5

Some versions worth noting are Plasma 6...
          It's a bit early for that.

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

No. They not move. They still use rpm with urpmi as default and dnf is only optional alternative! Read info on mageia blog...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I think he means if your favourite software is packaged as RPM, you'd like to get KDE in the same form.
              Hopefully at some point PackageKit will evolve to render these conversations moot.

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

No, Mageia will continue to use urpmi for the foreseeable future. DNF is not a replacement, purely a supplementary package manager as others have said.

Comment

Originally posted by schultz View Post

No, Mageia will continue to use urpmi for the foreseeable future. DNF is not a replacement, purely a supplementary package manager as others have said.
                  I asked one of the Mageia devs "is dnf going to be the default in the future?" and I quote: " I'd like it to be but this is the main blocker: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20131"

Comment

Well, I won't say never, but switching to DNF as default hasn't been discussed at any Council meeting I have been at, and it would be a decision taken at that level after considerable discussion on relevant mailing lists. It might happen for Mageia 7, but honestly, the likelihood of Mageia moving away from one of its core utilities is pretty small.

The proposed features for Mageia 7 will undoubtedly show far more details about what is coming then.

Comment

Working...
                    X