Server-Side GLVND Being Hacked On, Could Help PRIME Laptops & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server-Side GLVND Being Hacked On, Could Help PRIME Laptops & More

Phoronix: Server-Side GLVND Being Hacked On, Could Help PRIME Laptops & More

Adam Jackson of Red Hat has been developing a "server-side GLVND" implementation to allow multiple OpenGL driver stacks to co-exist within the X.Org Server space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can someone explain how this differs from current libglvnd allowing multiple drivers to be installed for graphics? If you have both Intel and non-free nvidia drivers installed, how is the server-side different from whatever the current support is(desktop?). Is it about multiple GPU powering a desktop at once, or like bumblebee in some way? I didn't quite get how the article tried to describe it.

Comment

To me it sounds like different drivers and thus different GPUs could drive different parts of screen. Desktop could be rendered on intel GPU while graphically demanding application could be rendered on dedicated GPU. I can totally see a usecase for gpu-passthrough users here. Now there is no easy way to utilize GPU dedicated for VM. There are several options but none of them are perfect: restart X on second GPU - but then why not just dual-boot, bumblebee - but it is slow, PRIME offloading - does not work with nvidia proprietary driver. This could potentially be a workaround delivering functionality of PRIME without driver having to do anything special. I hope i understood it right and this works out, this would be amazing thing to have.

Comment

This work is urgently needed.

Hybrid GPU's are a major source of very serious issues in Linux and could well be hurting Linux adoption on the desktop.

Many laptop hybrid GPU's right now result in Linux crashing on boot for many distros (unless you add the kernel parm : nouveau.modeset=0), you can't see any logs as tty's have all crashed, the system completely locks up and you can do nothing.

As soon as you install the binary Nvidia driver however everything works 100% fine.

A newbie trying Linux for the first time would just think, ah Linux still isn't ready for the desktop and has driver issues (which it doesn't as soon as you have installed the nvidia binary)

Comment

Excellent news it seems... however that comment of the Nvidia guy that they have been working on the same thing behind doors... really stupid I wish they were more open in their development model, especially for such things that really aren’t some kind of IP secret.

Comment

even for the desktop this work has been needed. cant wait to boot my desktop on apu/igpu/wayland then have games work on my dedicated gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
              As soon as you install the binary Nvidia driver however everything works 100% fine.
              yes, the problem is exactly the nvidia closed-source driver, that cannot go on par with the linux kernel
              with an amd or intel card you don't get any problem, nor you need to download and install a proprietary driver

Comment

Working...
              X