Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25/26 Will Soon Receive The Linux 4.12 Kernel

Phoronix: Fedora 25/26 Will Soon Receive The Linux 4.12 Kernel

For users of Fedora 25 and Fedora 26, the Linux 4.12 kernel will soon be sent down as a stable release update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess I have to exclude the kernel from getting updated.. just to stay safe as the Nvidia drivers usually break after upgrading to a major release of the kernel. Someone at Fedora should double check the right point in time to let these updates go into the repo. More often than not, many users who install proprietary drivers end up with an unusable system after an innocent "sudo dnf update". I know Fedora is devoted to Free Software.. but they made fairly easy to enable Negativo17 repo just for the proprietary drivers, so some consistency should be guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
      I guess I have to exclude the kernel from getting updated.. just to stay safe as the Nvidia drivers usually break after upgrading to a major release of the kernel. Someone at Fedora should double check the right point in time to let these updates go into the repo. More often than not, many users who install proprietary drivers end up with an unusable system after an innocent "sudo dnf update". I know Fedora is devoted to Free Software.. but they made fairly easy to enable Negativo17 repo just for the proprietary drivers, so some consistency should be guaranteed.
      Call Nvidia, this is their problem. AMD and intel graphics "just work" after a kernel upgrade. Not to be harsh, but if you choose to run 3rd party blob drivers, it's your responsibility to check compatibility before upgrading.

Comment

Many distros, including Fedora, are set up by default to keep multiple kernel versions, and will essentially never delete your current kernel on an upgrade.

You would be expected to know to select the previous kernel version in GRUB if necessary if the new one has problems on your hardware.

Distros can't hold back updates just because someone's computer didn't work with them. But yes you can certainly hold back on your end if you like.

As for AMD just working... I've got a 290x and it does generally "just work" but it doesn't necessarily do so with good performance (see Michael's article today showing his 290 continuing to have issues with the default Radeon driver). But some of their cards do work better than others...
        Last edited by Holograph; 20 July 2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Small note, Nvidia GPUs with >=4GB Maxwell and above are broken with nouveau ( integer overflow). Fix is not in the .2 release

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Call Nvidia, this is their problem. AMD and intel graphics "just work" after a kernel upgrade. Not to be harsh, but if you choose to run 3rd party blob drivers, it's your responsibility to check compatibility before upgrading.
            Yes, very much this. I am eagerly awaiting the upgrade and look forward to the smooth rendering on intel.

Comment

I feel like buying a nice new Nvidia card with 4GB+ of memory, and using the Nouveau driver is like buying a Ferrari and never taking it out of first.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                look forward to the smooth rendering on intel.
                Just curious, what "smooth rendering"? Perhaps I missed something. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Just curious, what "smooth rendering"? Perhaps I missed something. Cheers.
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

quote:
                  With Enlightenment, using atomic mode-setting and nuclear page-flipping can cause "buttery smoothness" and "perfect rendering".

Comment

no, some pain in the ass should be guaranteed for sponsors of most linux-hostile hardware vendor

Comment

Working...
                    X