Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clover OpenCL Gallium3D Sees Some Patches, Closer To OpenCL 1.2

Phoronix: Clover OpenCL Gallium3D Sees Some Patches, Closer To OpenCL 1.2

Community developer and Phoronix reader Aaron Watry has continued providing some much needed attention to Clover, the Gallium3D state tracker implementing OpenCL, notably for R600g/RadeonSI hardware not receiving ROCm OpenCL support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenCL over Vulkan hopefully will get some traction.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      OpenCL over Vulkan hopefully will get some traction.
      Yeah, I've been thinking about experimenting with that at some point.

For now, I'm focusing on the cards that I have, which include a Radeon 6850, a 5400, a Cayman-based Llano APU and a Radeon 7850. Only one of those chips will probably ever receive vulkan support, and none will ever work with ROCm.

Comment

Does this mean it will start working with programs like blender, darktable etc?

Comment

I really fail to understamd AMD. Looks like if their management lives in different universe or something. So they think devs would immediately buy each and every GPU they've just released and follow each and readily follow each and every API change, etc.

But it does not works like this. So what do we have today? I have some HD5000 cards. Well, they always have been half-assy in Linux and AMD ditched their support quite fast. Same for 6000s as well. I could understand AMD isn't eager to support ATI's stuff they even haven't designed, but hey, weren't it AMD who sold it and wasn't it me who paid like $150-200 for each and every piece of this junk to AMD? So AMD implemented GCNs. But they were in hurry due to marketing constraints and did it half-assy way. So they released one GCN version after another. Eventually it came to the fact most GCNs are also half-assy. Some are "too old" and AMD mostly cancelled their efforts, so despite mumbling of computations it NEVER WORKED REASONABLY in Linux. Some are just too new and their support is very draft and immature. Or you have to deal with their half-proprietary thing, just because AMD did it halfassy way once again. Or something. Either way, AMD lacks reasonable solution for Linux. If you want this crap to compute, using more or less popular apis supported by apps and expecting it to be more or less trouble-free, it just not a case. It wasnt a case 5 years before, nor it still a case.

Same shit with APIs. Linux software finally started to gain some steam, mostly using OpenCL. But lol, you can't have decent, working, open, trouble-free OpenCL implementation on AMD GPUs. So nope, Darktable not going to work out of the box for your. Nor ffmpeg would. And so on. So nope, you woulnd't readily get added value thanks to AMD and their HW/APIs/techs/etc. Let rather invent yet another "new cool api" targeting some yet another "new cool" hardware features specific to amd, do yet another round of pointless but loud marketing, disregard older HW and change direction again, just to repeat same trick few months later.

Meanwhile, in MY universe I see something like this: Linux sw is mostly happy with just plain simple OpenCL 1.x. Something that utterly borked on most AMD GPUs, to degree it aggravated devs and so on, so quite a few devs would consider AMD seriously when it comes to HPC APIs or optimizations. Devs got used to the fact AMD is smouldering wreck and only deal with it when there is absolutely no other way around (like in altcoins mining). Especially noticeable in game development, but HPC seems to follow same toxic pattern. This idiocy played key role in cuda popularity and NV domination of HPC marlet, after all.

AFAIK this summer AMD stocks went up, thanks to renaissance in altcoins mining. So AMD GPUs are bought like mad for one more time, by these tech enthusiasts who want to have fun and profit. Needless to say, Linux is good for fully automatic headless stuff like mining rigs. Mininig programs are happy with just OpenCL. So getting your GPUs working out of the box in Linux sounds like a killer feature, eh? But sure, who cares? AMD prefers to push some irrelevant crap, weird benchmarks and brand new apis. Nono, you still can't just have working OpenCL 1.x on most Linux distros on most AMD gpus out of the box. It has been like this for last 5 years or so. Hey, AMD, don't you think your priorities and overall decision making is fucked up? Just as usually, though. But lol, it would be too simple, too logical and too workable. Not to mention it does not requires New Cool [Insert another loud marketing term] and does not uses [yet another cool hw feature]. Nono, AMD can't just stick to at least some decision and implement it reasonably. Especially to degree it works out of the box. They're better off for all these halfassy decisionmaking jumps, yelling about yet another new cool feature and/or apis, despite most users and dev not giving it a fuck due to chaotic/unworkable nature of this crap. Then they have to implement some lame CUDA translators, lol. Despite being ones who has created whole OpenCL thing. Isn't it a shame? Honestly, OpenCL and AMD deserved a better place in HPC world, but it isn't a case.

TL;DR: Hey, AMD, is it really THAT hard to get fucking opencl 1.2 working and passing all conformance tests on most GPUs (at least all GCNs) by assigning some of your corporate guys? Especially when miners are buying your shit like mad and Linux is widely used platform for mining? I really do not get why something like this have to be 3rd party effort while AMD just does not gives a fuck about this. Btw miners do not need your fucking advanced scheduling or brand-new apis or something. It just have to crunch numbers in massively parallel fashion and do it fast. Some algos may also leverage fast RAM. Something AMD HW is good at.

Comment

Hello. Does anyone know how is the level of development clover opencl 1.2? AMD APU laptop which came in 2016 still use gcn1.0 and I think it's not too old to be dumped from development.

Comment

Working...
            X