Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 9.1 Released Along With Debian 8.9

Phoronix: Debian 9.1 Released Along With Debian 8.9

Debian GNU/Linux 9.1 and 8.9 were both released today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
    AMong the changes are updates to Apt

Comment

Still no fix for the opendkim "unfit for release" bug, albeit the package is released...

Comment

I had to switch back to Debian8 from 9. At the launch, there was many bugs even in the installer. It's hard to accept from a distro like Debian.

But my biggest problem is this:
        They left a very bad bug in the kernel. It trys to use a non existing s-video output on some Intel computer. https://www.google.hu/?gws_rd=ssl#q=video%3DSVIDEO-1:d
        It affected other distros as well, but they are fixed this problem. There where also problems with ACPI in Debian9, so i reinstalled Deb8, wich runs fine. Maybe time will fix these problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post
          I had to switch back to Debian8 from 9. At the launch, there was many bugs even in the installer. It's hard to accept from a distro like Debian.

They left a very bad bug in the kernel. It trys to use a non existing s-video output on some Intel computer. https://www.google.hu/?gws_rd=ssl#q=video%3DSVIDEO-1:d
          It affected other distros as well, but they are fixed this problem. There where also problems with ACPI in Debian9, so i reinstalled Deb8, wich runs fine. Maybe time will fix these problems...
          it's not the first time Debian had a less-than stellar first release. Also with 8.0 it was a bumpy ride.
          I'd personally not recommend to switch to new Debian versions before their x.1 or x.2 revision.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            it's not the first time Debian had a less-than stellar first release. Also with 8.0 it was a bumpy ride.
            I'd personally not recommend to switch to new Debian versions before their x.1 or x.2 revision.
            I thought that Debian is a enterprise-class distro, am I in wrong? I think it is still more stable than Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by fedora-user View Post
              I thought that Debian is a enterprise-class distro, am I in wrong? I think it is still more stable than Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
              yes it's stable and in production in many places. And while it lacks direct support contracts (unlike RHEL and SLES), there are third parties offering them https://www.debian.org/consultants/

Still, it's at least the second time that their major release wasn't flawless and was tamed in the first or second revision.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post

It affected other distros as well, but they are fixed this problem.
                I don't see upstream fixed that there:

At least what is written in these bugs/duplicates, i don't see someone confirmed it as fixed in some kernel even more recent ones really so i guess user is left to enable or disable that.

Comment

Working...
                X