Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3D9 Shaders To SPIR-V For Vulkan Is Being Worked On By VK9

Phoronix: D3D9 Shaders To SPIR-V For Vulkan Is Being Worked On By VK9

It's been a while since last reporting on VK9 as the independent effort to run Direct3D 9.0 over the Vulkan graphics API while this weekend the lead developer of this open-source project has issued a new update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shame more people aren't helping him, its going to be quite some time before VK9 is ready for mainstream unfortunately. I do hope VK9 ends up being good performance.

Comment

Isn't there such work going on in glslang? Why reinvent the wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I do hope VK9 ends up being good performance.
        Likewise. Last I saw a benchmark, the DirectX->OpenGL translation layer in Wine was the only part that performed significantly more slowly than the real thing (with Linux filesystems outperforming NTFS noticeably) and I suspect that going direct from DirectX 9 to something as low-level as Vulkan could combine the performance boost of Gallium Nine with the "works with proprietary drivers too" property that would be a pre-requisite for Wine developers to entertain it as an option.

Comment

I'm surprised HLSL to SPIR-V translation isn't a more general project that more people are working on.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            I'm surprised HLSL to SPIR-V translation isn't a more general project that more people are working on.
            HLSL users hate cheap alternative platforms, freedom, and standards, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              It is. I'm more surprised VK9 isn't using it, instead of making their own. See: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glslang/issues/362

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

It is. I'm more surprised VK9 isn't using it, instead of making their own. See: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glslang/issues/362
                Is that applicable for DX9 HLSL though?

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Is that applicable for DX9 HLSL though?
                  It should be. They mention DX9 there in the least of features they are working on.

Comment

I am in no shape of form an expert or claim to be, but if I am reading this right:
                    An OpenGL and OpenGL ES shader front end and validator.
                    This is for OpenGL and the DX9 style sampler declarations isn't even done yet. VK9 project is trying to convert Direct3D 9 shader bytecode into SPIR-V. To me it does not sound the same, code can be used and understood sure but we all know that it still take time to adapt your code. I may miss something or the thing that links the two somehow but again, no expert here..

Comment

Working...
                    X