Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost Is Planning A Move To CMake

Phoronix: Boost Is Planning A Move To CMake

The Boost C++ libraries is planning for a new build system, but they aren't going for Meson that's been the recent trend among open-source projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just had my first run-in with Meson. A build system that totally breaks down when using a pure ASCII locale is useless in my book.
    Hey guys, An issue with meson got reported on the Ricin's repository, so I copy/paste it here. For more informations → @ovalseven8 Summary Operating System: Manjaro Linux Ricin's version: RicinApp/...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      I just had my first run-in with Meson. A build system that totally breaks down when using a pure ASCII locale is useless in my book.
      https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/467
      That's already long ago fixed anyhow. Next?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        That's already long ago fixed anyhow. Next?
        It wasn't fixed. It was marked as 'notabug'. They tell you to change your local to utf8 instead of ascii.

Comment

Waiting for Meson enthusiasts to explain how Meson is better than CMake any moment now.

too late lol, already 3 posts about Meson

Anyway.. I hope boost goes through with this, re-learning how to use bjam every couple of months is always a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerousHobo View Post

It wasn't fixed. It was marked as 'notabug'. They tell you to change your local to utf8 instead of ascii.
            Not according to the last comment.

Comment

As much as I have had issue with CMake, I'm glad to read they're doing this rather than Meson. Meson sure works for simple systems, but when things get complicated, it doesn't read as nice as a Makefile.

Comment

Originally posted by necrophcodr View Post
                As much as I have had issue with CMake, I'm glad to read they're doing this rather than Meson. Meson sure works for simple systems, but when things get complicated, it doesn't read as nice as a Makefile.
                Things like Xorg are hardly simple systems. Can you give a specific example?

Comment

Originally posted by necrophcodr View Post
                  You just made my day.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Things like Xorg are hardly simple systems. Can you give a specific example?
                    Have you tried reading through Xorg. I think your point validates the opinion you replied to.

Comment

Working...
                    X