Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VC5 Driver Makes Strides For Future Broadcom GPU

Phoronix: VC5 Driver Makes Strides For Future Broadcom GPU

VC5 is the new DRM/Gallium3D driver for an upcoming Broadcom GPU and the successor to the VC4 as is mostly known for being the graphics found on current Raspberry Pi models. Broadcom developer Eric Anholt has been making progress on the driver and that hasn't let up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tell me more of this Earth thing called "VC5"!

Seriously, I can't find much info at all, and am wildly curious since this could well end up the only ?modern? ARM-linked GPU with decent OSS support.

Comment

Did 7 comments or so suddenly vanish here? Bug in the forum software?

Comment

Originally posted by LaeMing View Post

Seriously, I can't find much info at all, and am wildly curious since this could well end up the only ?modern? ARM-linked GPU with decent OSS support.
        Very true. All Google results lead back to Phoronix

EDIT: The only other thing I found was it scores 14,000 dmips?
        Last edited by chimpy; 25 July 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
          So is VC5 going to be bleeding edge OpenGL 2.1 like VC4?

SOURCE: http://privacyenhanced.blogspot.com/...-not-only.html

The developer's own blog recommends NOT installing it as the system's main video driver. I'm thinking of using it just for VLC though, while keeping swrast for desktop effects.
          It's still better than proprietary Allwinner / Mali stuff, which will eat your babies. People want high end accelerated graphics on their NAS box built on RPi.

Comment

See here: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ly/162087.html

Comment

Supposedly used in BCM7268 quadcore SoC http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...dcom-Gallium3D that targets 4k resolution media centers

that has native 100Mbit ethernet https://github.com/torvalds/linux/co...72344f0a355527

Comment

Thanks to those who linked to VC5 info above.
                That is about all I could find searching about, too. :-/

Comment

tbf, there is also etnaviv and freedreno, both also paired with SoCs that also have good upstream support (and freedreno has gl3/gles3 and some vivante parts are capable of gl3/gles3 and etnaviv is making good progress).. and modern tegra SoCs (although they are kinda absent from phone/tablet/reasonably-priced-boards space) have nouveau.. so in terms of arm SoC GPUs, it is really only mali that is in bad shape.. the problem is people keep buying the wrong arm boards (ie. the ones w/ crappy mali-400 GPUs ;-))

So really we are at a point that seemed impossible a few years ago. Just remember, friends don't let friends buy mali ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X