Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 2.121 Adds Flatpak Support

Phoronix: SteamOS 2.121 Adds Flatpak Support

SteamOS 2.121 is now available as the latest release of Valve's Linux distribution for gaming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

could this be the start of windows games flatpack'd with wine for running on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      could this be the start of windows games flatpack'd with wine for running on Linux?
      If it works well I'll buy it. Seriously wine wrap GTA V, Witcher 3 or whatever and if it does 75%+ performance of the windows version and has 0 breakage and crashes I'm game.

I guess theoretically we could start to pull in Discord and other apps now, wonder how they would play with Big Picture at the same time.

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
      flatpak install flathub com.discordapp.Discord

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        It's very easy to have multiple wine prefixes, no need for flatpack. I also don't support Windows anymore in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
          It's very easy to have multiple wine prefixes, no need for flatpack.
          That means, we don't need any progression, no further development...
          Everything should remain like it is.
          If this is the main goal of human beeing, then we still living in holes and for sure we don't have computers.
          Last edited by WLBI; 26 July 2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post

It's very easy to have multiple wine prefixes, no need for flatpack. I also don't support Windows anymore in any way.
            I congratulate you on your emergence. I wish I could be like that, unfortunately WINE for photoshop and the occasional other piece of software are a zero-choice issue. I'm all for breaking free as long as it's not breaking free Trisquel style.

Originally posted by WLBI View Post
            That means, we don't need any progression, no further development...
            Everything should remain like it is.
            If this is the main goal of human being, then we still living in holes and for sure we don't have computers.
            Humans have a strange way of solving the same problems over and over again in new ways for strange reasons to begin with. Go google how many NES emulators there are out there and you'll quickly find several examples

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

I congratulate you on your emergence. I wish I could be like that, unfortunately WINE for photoshop and the occasional other piece of software are a zero-choice issue. I'm all for breaking free as long as it's not breaking free Trisquel style.

Humans have a strange way of solving the same problems over and over again in new ways for strange reasons to begin with. Go google how many NES emulators there are out there and you'll quickly find several examples
              It is called "learning" and "improving".

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Windows game developers do not support Linux gaming. There are many games with stupid launchers using wierd windows apis that prevents the windows game to work with wine-staging. Those games could run without the launcher fine with wine-staging, but the game requires the launcher to run. Well designed games do not have any separate launchers.
                Dude are you serious? I think launchers are one of the most fantastic inventions ever!! I remember when games required to be installed from 3 - 6 discs and the fucking cd key always seemed to be lost and then you had to manually search the web for game updates and patches and those were usually really shitty proprietary installers.

I'm not saying that wine runs all launchers well, Of course that's not right, but the concept of launchers is fucking awesome.

EDIT: Oh how I long for cdemu to gain support for copy protection metadata for securom and securedisc and the rest. I wish badly.
                Last edited by duby229; 26 July 2017, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Windows game developers do not support Linux gaming. There are many games with stupid launchers using wierd windows apis that prevents the windows game to work with wine-staging. Those games could run without the launcher fine with wine-staging, but the game requires the launcher to run. Well designed games do not have any separate launchers.
                  There are patches to workaround that though. Just like the good ol' NOCD patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

There are patches to workaround that though. Just like the good ol' NOCD patches.
                    Oh boy, finding them though is a malware fest.

Comment

Working...
                    X