Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Batch Of AMDGPU Changes Submitted For Linux 4.14

Phoronix: Initial Batch Of AMDGPU Changes Submitted For Linux 4.14

Alex Deucher of AMD has sent in the first pull request of Radeon/AMDGPU DRM changes to be queued in DRM-Next for eventually reaching the Linux 4.14 kernel in September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The current AMD Linux strategy is a complete fail at the moment. The HDMI audio thing is utterly annoying and even the current amd-staging-4.11 tree does not have proper HDMI audio (only PCM and legacy surround formats).

It is very sad that for Linux HTPC owners the hardware of choice remains Intel hardware. I would have liked a combined AMD-based HTPC & Steam console running on Linux, but it seems that this wish will not come true in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
      The current AMD Linux strategy is a complete fail at the moment. The HDMI audio thing is utterly annoying and even the current amd-staging-4.11 tree does not have proper HDMI audio (only PCM and legacy surround formats).

It is very sad that for Linux HTPC owners the hardware of choice remains Intel hardware. I would have liked a combined AMD-based HTPC & Steam console running on Linux, but it seems that this wish will not come true in the near future.
      Well out of the box, yes, but the code is easily accessible, or the user could just try to install the latest DKMS off the website, which should provide all that and works with both the Mesa and PRO stack.

Comment

your htpc chip of choice could be kaveri or godavari. works fine here. with hdmi audio etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Well out of the box, yes, but the code is easily accessible, or the user could just try to install the latest DKMS off the website, which should provide all that and works with both the Mesa and PRO stack.
          Which code do you mean? As I said amdgpu from amd-staging-4.11 does not support a single modern surround format (DTS-HD MA, Dolby Atmos, ...). This is required for HTPC use, though. And the last time I have checked amdgpu-pro it did not support these formats either.

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          your htpc chip of choice could be kaveri or godavari. works fine here. with hdmi audio etc.
          Maybe, but as I said I actually wanted a gaming and HTPC solution in one box. And these chips are a bit too old for modern 4K gaming.

Comment

PC hardware won't support CEC anyways so..

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              PC hardware won't support CEC anyways so..
              The Intel NUCs do support CEC (with a small add-on board), but for a serious HTPC you'll need a good remote anyway (preferably Bluetooth-based, like the Harmony Elite).

Comment

Maybe, but as I said I actually wanted a gaming and HTPC solution in one box. And these chips are a bit too old for modern 4K gaming.
                The very newest Skylake chips can do some light 4k gaming, but for the performance/price you can do a real gpu in a pretty small ITX case these days....

Comment

Which code do you mean? As I said amdgpu from amd-staging-4.11 does not support a single modern surround format (DTS-HD MA, Dolby Atmos, ...). This is required for HTPC use, though. And the last time I have checked amdgpu-pro it did not support these formats either.
                  I understand your frustration but the AMD driver is not a total fail. For my use case it is working awesomely.

Given the progression of the open source software stack over the last many years, we are sure to see more and better support for these things in the near(ish) future.

I am looking forward to the new display control code landing - this will get us a whole bunch of shiny new features.

You can always ask/express your interest to the AMD team to get newer sound formats supported. Feedback is (i am sure) always appreciated!

Comment

AFAIK the amdgpu driver only controls merging of audio data into the video stream going out over the display connector; it's not an audio driver.

Are you saying that the audio driver supports these modes but the amdgpu driver does not ? If so then that is something we should look at, but my impression was that we were primarily limited by the audio driver.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X