Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueOS Finishes Porting Scripts To OpenRC

Phoronix: TrueOS Finishes Porting Scripts To OpenRC

The TrueOS BSD distribution has finished porting over more than one thousand FreeBSD RC scripts into OpenRC format for this dependency-based init system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lel, Trueos.org: Your connection is not private

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Nice going for them

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Lel, Trueos.org: Your connection is not private

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Nice going for them
      It ran out today, so they're just being a bit slow I guess. It'll probably be fixed later today.

Comment

good news

Comment

couldn't they just copy the scripts from gentoo?

Comment

Originally posted by necrophcodr View Post

It ran out today, so they're just being a bit slow I guess. It'll probably be fixed later today.
            Wrong. 24 hours later and I still have to make an exception for their SSL certificate. So they haven't fixed anying.

Comment

*grabs popcorn and waits for the well-known init system discussion*

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
                couldn't they just copy the scripts from gentoo?
                I imagine partly. I know there were a lot of Linux'isms that had to be fixed since Gentoo has had stewardship since its creation for quite a while now. I don't think TrueOS uses bash by default either, I'm unsure if it it installs it in its default install. This is good progress I'd like to see OpenRC in FreeBSD but that may be some time off, they are pretty slow at making drastic changes in the core OS. (and thats a good thing)

I like OpenRC a lot, its easy to use, sane to configure and modify and very fast. I've seen Gentoo systems go from bios to gdm in 2 seconds with OpenRC.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 30 July 2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Gentoo does already have a bsd spin, but I've had trouble with it being super buggy. I think it was the graphics drivers acting unstable. Though by all accounts they put a lot of effort into catching their graphics stack up, so maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    I like OpenRC a lot, its easy to use, sane to configure and modify and very fast. I've seen Gentoo systems go from bios to gdm in 2 seconds with OpenRC.
                    Yeah right. I believe that 5-7 seconds is possible but I highly doubt 2 is possible. Maybe with KolibriOS 'cause it's writtein Assembly and super-lightweight or even MenuetOS (Gentoo is lightweight but not as lightweight as Kolibri and Menuet).

Comment

Working...
                    X