It Will Still Take Fedora A Few More Releases To Switch Off Python 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Will Still Take Fedora A Few More Releases To Switch Off Python 2

Phoronix: It Will Still Take Fedora A Few More Releases To Switch Off Python 2

Finalizing Fedora's switch from Python 2 to Python 3 by default is still going to take several more Fedora release cycles and should be done by the 2020 date when Python 2 will be killed off by upstream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

python2 is very stubbornly hanging around... even sort-of-new software like Ansible is effectively python 2.
    (yes parts of it will run in python 3, but not all of it, so you're still stuck with python2)

Comment

Hmm. I wonder what would happen if the python guys killed off python2 right now. Would all the python2 coders be freaking out. Probably not, as some idiot would fork python2 and then python2 would live on forever. It amazes me how lazy programmers are in porting to 3. Python is in the same position as Windows XP. Python2 is holding everybody back for the sake of compatibility. Who gives a shit if somebody's ancient 2 code needs to run. We need to be moving forward. Python3 is forward moving and python2 is backward. This is the same as Microsoft holding up the state of the art to satisfy Windows XP users. Microsoft got their heads out of their ass with 10. Now you need to be constantly updating your code to run on Windows. It should be that way with Open source free software. Death to python2. Even my best friend decided to learn python2 because he thought that was where it was at... Ahhhhhhh! Almost a decade of python3!

And this from a guy who has 2 and 3 on Windows 10 and Linux.
      Last edited by Alcoholic_Nate; 29 July 2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Too bad it's not being done sooner. I wish it was already done.

I like Python 3, especially 3.6 which has f-strings.

Comment

i cant see that being default in Fedora at least till 2019 at the latest + i think it would also Benefit RPM to only use the python3 version.

Comment

Who uses Fedora anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
              Who uses Fedora anyway?
              your Mum does, as its the only Root she gets

Comment

Originally posted by Alcoholic_Nate View Post
                Hmm. I wonder what would happen if the python guys killed off python2 right now. Would all the python2 coders be freaking out. Probably not, as some idiot would fork python2 and then python2 would live on forever. It amazes me how lazy programmers are in porting to 3. Python is in the same position as Windows XP. Python2 is holding everybody back for the sake of compatibility. Who gives a shit if somebody's ancient 2 code needs to run. We need to be moving forward. Python3 is forward moving and python2 is backward. This is the same as Microsoft holding up the state of the art to satisfy Windows XP users. Microsoft got their heads out of their ass with 10. Now you need to be constantly updating your code to run on Windows. It should be that way with Open source free software. Death to python2. Even my best friend decided to learn python2 because he thought that was where it was at... Ahhhhhhh! Almost a decade of python3!

And this from a guy who has 2 and 3 on Windows 10 and Linux.
                If you had actually googled before posting, you'd know CPython 2 has an official EOL year and that's 2020. If you had been following discussion around this, you'd know there are multiple implementations of Python and each may decide to continue supporting Python 2 longer depending on what their stakeholders decide

Comment

Originally posted by Alcoholic_Nate View Post
                  Who gives a shit if somebody's ancient 2 code needs to run.
                  yeah, who really need running software?
                  it's much better having a new shining python version rather than actual software doing things, right?

Comment

I understand that it's frustrating to feel blown off, but when "shiny new" had a 2008 release date, you are asking a lot from an open source community. 12 years of support on an old version of something is uncommon from any commercial vendor such as Microsoft / Google even.

Comment

Working...
                    X