OpenMAX Tizonia G3D State Tracker Begins Working For H.264 Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMAX Tizonia G3D State Tracker Begins Working For H.264 Encoding

Phoronix: OpenMAX Tizonia G3D State Tracker Begins Working For H.264 Encoding

One of this year's Google Summer of Code projects affecting Mesa is porting its OpenMAX IL Gallium3D state tracker from using Bellagio to Tizonia...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

\o/ finally.
    I didn't know that someone was working with it this year, it's been as an GSoC project for years but no one was interested before.
    I'm very happy that someone finally works on this port, i will check this out.

Comment

can anyone explain what this is for? I get that it is for media decoding/encoding but is it for all Gallium3D drivers or only for something?

Comment

Openmax currently needs Bellagio and it's a dead projekt with its last release in 2011.
        No distribution wants or should include code that's not maintained and that makes omx support a bit tricky to add.
        Tizonia is actively maintained and also supports OpenMAX IL 1.2 contrary to Bellagio that only supports the older OpenMAX IL 1.1
        This makes it easier to add and maintain VCE support.
        Originally posted by https://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/
        • Difficulty: Easy-Medium
        • Skills Required: C
        • Useful skills: Mesa, OpenMAX, gstreamer programming
        • Hardware/Software required: driver supported by the OpenMax state tracker (radeon, nouveau)
        • Where to ask questions: [email protected], #dri-devel on irc.freenode.net
        • Description: Currently the OpenMAX state tracker in Mesa/Gallium uses Bellagio. The project would be to use Tizonia instead. Bellagio has not been updated for a few years and only supports the OpenMAX IL 1.1 specification. Tizonia is actively maintained and also up to date with latest OpenMAX IL 1.2 specification. Also Tizonia supports OMX_UseEGLImage which would allow for zero-copy decoding/rendering. This work would benefit AMD and Nvidia hardware on Linux desktop. It would also help embedded developers by allowing them to develop feature on desktop first before to go to target. Testing can be done through gst-omx, the set of GStreamer plugins that wrap OpenMAX.
          1. Add support for Tizonia in Gallium/st-omx.
          2. Add zero copy support using OMX_UseEGLImage

Comment

Working...
        X