Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying OpenIndiana Hipster On The Core i9 7900X

Phoronix: Trying OpenIndiana Hipster On The Core i9 7900X

Following the Linux and BSD multi-threaded tests on the Intel Core i9 7900X, I next decided to try this system with the Solaris-based OpenIndiana. Sadly, it didn't end well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think the major problem is that the various OpenSolaris successors/forks have notably smaller teams (and less financial resources) than Oracle has. With Solaris still (slowly) moving forward, it won't be easy to keep on track.

But I don't think OpenIndiana should be compared to Linux and BSD; being one of the last original Unices, Solaris has a quite different technical foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
      I think the major problem is that the various OpenSolaris successors/forks have notably smaller teams (and less financial resources) than Oracle has. With Solaris still (slowly) moving forward, it won't be easy to keep on track.

But I don't think OpenIndiana should be compared to Linux and BSD; being one of the last original Unices, Solaris has a quite different technical foundation.
      The Solaris kernel is based on SysV so it at least has a common ancestor with the BSDs. Linux of course is something different entirely.

Comment

I remember years ago installing Project Looking Glass on Solaris and thinking it's too bad that they were never able to make that setup a mainstream desktop OS.

Comment

I had the same problem when running Solaris under kvm. Disabling x2apic fixed it. Not sure if you can do that from your BIOS tho.
          Rob
          email: [email protected]

Comment

Slowlaris is dead. Let it rest in peace.

Comment

Hi Michael,
              months ago I suggested that you get in touch with us on the mailing list to help pinpoint the issue but I do not remember seeing a message from you.
              It is possible that your particular hardware has specific driver issues but some people use OpenIndiana on recent Intel hardware without any problem.

Kind regards

Aurélien

Comment

Originally posted by jollyd View Post
                Hi Michael,
                months ago I suggested that you get in touch with us on the mailing list to help pinpoint the issue but I do not remember seeing a message from you.
                It is possible that your particular hardware has specific driver issues but some people use OpenIndiana on recent Intel hardware without any problem.

Kind regards

Aurélien
                Michael doesn't do bug reports nor he bothers to actually contact anyone anywhere. He considers he's "articles" as bug reports.

Comment

Michael
                  Have you really tried to contact with their developers about your issue or just wanted to make another grumpy rant about OpenIndiana/OpenSolaris? To me, it seems like the last one :/

Comment

timofonic To my knowledge OpenIndiana developers were not contacted about the issue.

Better late than never, it would be good to actually fix the issue.

Michael
                    Sharing a screenshot of the boot in verbose mode could be a good start.
                    We could also generate a debug image based on recent illumos.
                    Testing images from late July are also available.

Different ways for contacting developers are listed at https://www.openindiana.org/
                    Please do not hesitate to reach on the mailing lists or open a ticket on the tracker.

Kind regards,

Aurélien

Comment

Working...
                    X