Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX Vega 56 & 64 Launch: $399+, Available 14 August

Phoronix: Radeon RX Vega 56 & 64 Launch: $399+, Available 14 August

AMD made for an exciting start to SIGGRAPH 2017 by launching the Vega consumer parts last night...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonder if you will be able to get consistently more performance out of a Vega 56 than my current gtx 1060. Then it might be worth going open source and buy one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
      Wonder if you will be able to get consistently more performance out of a Vega 56 than my current gtx 1060. Then it might be worth going open source and buy one of these.
      Will let you know soon as I have my hands on such hardware... if I end up being able to get a 56 somehow after 64.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i'll most likely buy a vega card (not hi-end) once all hwcodecs work (including vp9), opencl works and is a hassle free experience on linux.

Comment

amd has failed this time, this card should be at 1080ti / titan xp performance and it just can beat 1080 slightly

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            amd has failed this time, this card should be at 1080ti / titan xp performance and it just can beat 1080 slightly
            Let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions. The FE is offering underwhelming performance especially given the power draw for sure but at the moment, nobody outside of AMD can seriously guess how much the mysterious "disabled hardware features" that are supposed to be enabled with the release driver will bring to the table. Purely based on execution units and frequency, this thing is a beast. Let's hope, it'll translate to good 3D performance. I can at least see it being quite good for OpenCL workloads.

Comment

With a friggin 295W TDP. So far the only exciting Vega that makes it out the Fab is the Nano, which should operate around the voltage/power efficiency sweetspot

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions. The FE is offering underwhelming performance especially given the power draw for sure but at the moment, nobody outside of AMD can seriously guess how much the mysterious "disabled hardware features" that are supposed to be enabled with the release driver will bring to the table. Purely based on execution units and frequency, this thing is a beast. Let's hope, it'll translate to good 3D performance. I can at least see it being quite good for OpenCL workloads.
                i got the data from amd rx vega (yes the gaming card) presentation so i think it is already ok to jump to conclusions

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                  It will beat it if it's at the same level as the GTX 1070. But it will need way more power than your GTX 1060 to do it.
                  But here come the cons:
                  - as Michael has noted, Vega needs DC and DC is not mainlined yet -> no out of the box open source support for a while
                  - Anandtech estimates limited availability of standalone cards at launch, with the bulk of them going to Radeon bundles

As usual, it's better to wait a bit and let things settle down first.

Comment

Would have liked to see the Vega 56 priced maybe $50 lower, but even at that price it definitely seems like something worth looking into despite the constant delays in merging DC/DAL. Not too keen on the reference blower which, pardon the pun, kind of blows as shown in tests of the Vega FE which has the same cooling setup. Non-reference coolers in AIB partner cards should fix the problem, but there doesn't seem any definitive timetable on when those will show up on the market just yet.

Let's hope people who mine cryprocurrency, or "Internet Funny Money" as I call it, don't eat up all the supply like they've done with everything between the GTX 1050 and 1080 Ti since April because this definitely looks like an interesting card and worth buying with all of the gains that have been done in AMD's Linux drivers over the last year.

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                    Remembering that the Vega 64 costs about the same as a 1080 at MSRP, which have been next to impossible to find for months already, I wouldn't be that negative about it. It may not be the "1080 Ti performance at a 1080 price" knock out of the park like some people hoped, but knowing AMD's driver team it's probably going to be gaining some substantial performance improvements trough drivers over the next year.
                    Last edited by L_A_G; 31 July 2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X