Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.6 Released With Vulkan/SPIR-V Ingestion, Parallel Shader Compiles & Finally AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.6 Released With Vulkan/SPIR-V Ingestion, Parallel Shader Compiles & Finally AF

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.6 Released With Vulkan/SPIR-V Ingestion, Parallel Shader Compiles & Finally AF

As we have been anticipating and hinting at for weeks/months, a new formal update to OpenGL has been in the works and it's officially out today. Meet OpenGL 4.6! This is a pretty significant update and internally they had the debate whether to call it OpenGL 5.0, but here we are with OpenGL 4.6 that features Vulkan/SPIR-V extensions and more. The good news is the open-source Mesa drivers aren't too far out from OpenGL 4.6 support, at least RadeonSI and Intel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This will probably be the first time open source drivers will get support briefly after a new spec release?

Comment

Is there some game that uses a OpenGL 4.6 feature?

Comment

Any idea when mesamatrix will be updated for this?

I'm slightly curious which extensions weren't implemented in 4.6, and why.

Comment

Sounds great! But what about bindless textures? I thought it's one of the most used AZDO extensions.

Edit: ok, if I get it right, not all OGL4 hardware can support bindless textures, so only in OGL 5 it can become part of core.
          Last edited by treba; 31 July 2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Any idea when mesamatrix will be updated for this?

I'm slightly curious which extensions weren't implemented in 4.6, and why.
            mesamatrix just parses the features.txt file in the mesa tree into a nice GUI, so presumably whenever a patch updating that file goes through. I don't see anything in the mailing list yet, though I can't imagine it will be long before it is.

Comment

what is the point of OGL releases now? Can't they built OpenGL atop vulkan and focus on vulkan instead?

Comment

My impression was that there was a few features and extensions they wanted in an official capacity. There aren't any games out there that need GL4.6 yet, but when drivers become available I wouldn't be surprised to see a few games updated to make use of some of the extensions they can use.

Try to understand that right now there are literally thousands of Linux apps and games that rely on some version of OpenGL and many of the games can probably use at least a few of the new features. While it's true that the future -is- Vulkan, It's also equally true the past -is- OpenGL. Many, many titles already exist.
                Last edited by duby229; 31 July 2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tga.d View Post
                  mesamatrix just parses the features.txt file in the mesa tree into a nice GUI, so presumably whenever a patch updating that file goes through. I don't see anything in the mailing list yet, though I can't imagine it will be long before it is.
                  Indeed didn't take long, patch is now on the mailing list: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ly/164799.html

Anyway, interesting that shader_group_vote is there, but not shader_ballot. The int64 dependency got in the way? Well, at least that means there's a high chance Haswell will get full 4.6 support
                  Last edited by Gusar; 31 July 2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Do we know minimum hardware specs on which it will be implemented? Everything that still has official driver support? Nvidia seems to have the beta driver for Fermi and newer.

Comment

Working...
                    X