Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MythTV 29 Released

Phoronix: MythTV 29 Released

It's been a while since last having anything to report on with the once very popular MythTV HTPC/DVR software, but today it's out with a new stable release: MythTV 29...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, dropping the 0. Sounds cool and promising, though I'm not looking forward to the upgrade process which will probably take a whole weekend…

Comment

This must be the biggest naming jump in software history.

Comment

I ran MythTV for years, but the lack of device support was always a issue. I have now moved to Plex that it has Live TV and Recording support, plus is available on Android TV which the Nvidia Shield runs, which is my primary device now.

Comment

What's the difference between MythTV and Kodi? I never understood it....

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            They both have media center interfaces. MythTV is a client/server model where the server runs the backend and manages the tuners and the frontend presents the media center to the user. Kodi is a standalone app where there is no frontend/backend. Kodi probably has a larger userbase because of all the internet TV plugins, but I personally think MythTV is more advanced.
            Last edited by duby229; 31 July 2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

If you have the appropriate hardware, MythTV will operate as a DVR and let you record and replay broadcast television content.

Kodi can't do that. Kodi can communicate with a MythTV server so you can view your MythTV content, but Kodi can't manage the recording of broadcast content itself.

...or at least, that's how I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

If you have the appropriate hardware, MythTV will operate as a DVR and let you record and replay broadcast television content.

Kodi can't do that. Kodi can communicate with a MythTV server so you can view your MythTV content, but Kodi can't manage the recording of broadcast content itself.

...or at least, that's how I understand it.
                I see.

But with IPTV everywhere, is MythTV still required? I guess it can do D (or P)VR with IPTV. I still just use Kodi for basic stuff, but I'm amazed it didn't gained recording support.

Comment

Kodi has different PVR plugins (VNSI for example) which can talk to a local (or remote) vdr installation.

Comment

I see.

But with IPTV everywhere, is MythTV still required? I guess it can do D (or P)VR with IPTV. I still just use Kodi for basic stuff, but I'm amazed it didn't gained recording support.
                    I don't pay for television service, but I live close enough to a US city that I can get thirty broadcast channels on a digital antenna. I don't have MythTV or anything like it set up - my wife likes our Tivo, and it works well enough. But on my to-do list is "Replace Tivo with MythTV".

Comment

Working...
                    X