Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland-Protocols 1.10 Adds XDG-Output

Phoronix: Wayland-Protocols 1.10 Adds XDG-Output

Jonas Ådahl has announced the newest release of the Wayland protocols collection, Wayland-Protocols 1.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When will Wayland developers work on the protocol for screen recording and screenshots? It's a major mess currently with no standard way of handling them, and compositors spreading into incompatible methods because of it.

Comment

So, is this going to provide standardized xrandr-like functionality?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        When will Wayland developers work on the protocol for screen recording and screenshots? It's a major mess currently with no standard way of handling them, and compositors spreading into incompatible methods because of it.
        I agree.

I also would like someday they provide a standarized protocol for screen sharing and remote desktop. Something similar in functionality to latest Microsoft's RDP implementation but for *NIX. There's have been some experimental code by using the SPICE protocol and seemed a promising starting point, but the code got abandoned.

And about the "there's xyz tool(s) to do that": They lack certain functionality (sharing IO such as USB and serial and audio even in advanced stuff like DTS or more, able to render stuff like OpenGL/Vulkan in the client, etc) or not properly integrate into the system and require many hacky stuff (SSH redirection?). Nvidia provides their own proprietary solution for games, but even that one has limits (no local rendering).

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
          Made by GNOME.
          Do you expect KDE or others do something in Wayland? Most DE or Window Managers are still struggling to have Wayland support or not care at all.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            When they get there, maybe they can even add some security protocol, like a permission model.
            It would be nice if a program must request permission granting from the user before being allowed to take screenshots or record the desktop, similar to how browsers nowadays aks for permission for webcam and mike access.
            This hould stop malware who steals user's sensitive data by taking screenshots.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

When they get there, maybe they can even add some security protocol, like a permission model.
              It would be nice if a program must request permission granting from the user before being allowed to take screenshots or record the desktop, similar to how browsers nowadays aks for permission for webcam and mike access.
              This hould stop malware who steals user's sensitive data by taking screenshots.
              Yes, I would expect that to involve some security model, since screen recording requires access to screen data of multiple processes. I'm just surprised no one is working on this still.

Comment

I believe that we should stop, set up a work table where ALL are invited to discuss problems over the way to Wayland. No one should be excluded, then make decisions that are compatible with everyone's needs.

Comment

Made by GNOME.
                  I feel a sense of "uppity-ness", almost like you think that's a good thing somehow. But the fact is Gnome lost more than 3/4's of their former maximum userbase. It's gone and they are never gonna get those kinds of numbers back. They shoulda stuck with a desktop style desktop. They coulda kept the numbers they had. Cinnamon, Mate, Pantheon, and Budgie simply would not have been.

EDIT: And lets be honest with ourselves here, forking a living project or worse starting a new one from scratch, is the worse possible thing that can happen.
                  Last edited by duby229; 31 July 2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I expect nothing from kde except the usual rants. And that is fine, I prefer to have the better developers define APIs and protocols. At least GNOME have a lot of experience from the API work on GTK. The kde developers struggle to build QT, so it is not like they have a lot to offer.
                    You do love brown nosing RH and GNOME developers don't you? If you aren't getting any financial incentives for your trolling, then you really are wasting your life.

Comment

Working...
                    X