Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 Released

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 Released

Red Hat is out today with the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting how Red Hat was full steam ahead into Puppet, integrating it with Spacewalk (Satellite). Now they're changing gears and moving towards Ansibel. I wonder how much of this Ansibel stuff they'll integrate into RHEL6, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      [...] moving towards Ansibel. I wonder how much of this Ansibel stuff [...]
      Ansible.

Comment

I know RHEL and CentOS are not intended as desktop systems, but... how well do they handle newer hardware?
        I am specifically interested in their Ryzen and Radeon RX-support.

I ran into some serious issues on openSUSE Leap 42.3: I switched from Tumbleweed to have better NVIdia driver support, and in turn realized that the Leap 42.3 kernel does not have Ryzen support backported.

Comment

Did they release a public beta?

And the release is much bigger than the Release Notes suggest:
          - Update to GNOME 3.22.3
          - AMDGPU for the various Islands
          - Mesa 17.0 but only LLVM 3.9.1

So I guess Polaris is supported but I don't know about Ryzen. At some point Ryzen was not supported but Naples was added again:

* Fri Jun 02 2017 [3.10.0-677.el7]
          - [x86] mark AMD Naples SP3 processors supported

* Sat Apr 29 2017 [3.10.0-660.el7]
          - [x86] Mark AMD Naples/Ryzen as unsupported

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
            I know RHEL and CentOS are not intended as desktop systems, but... how well do they handle newer hardware?
            I am specifically interested in their Ryzen and Radeon RX-support.
            Sure they are intended as desktop systems. What made you think they aren't? For both RHEL 6 and RHEL 7, there is a Workstation installer, as well as a server installer. RHEL Workstation has been displacing legacy UNIX workstations from Sun, HP, and IBM, for a while now.

Red Hat publishes a detailed support matrix, listing exactly which cpu's are supported in which release. They also are very good about backporting cpu support.
            Here's their AMD support matrix: https://access.redhat.com/articles/65431
            and here's their intel support matrix: https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/intel
            I doubt they'll list Ryzen specifically though, you probably have to wait for AMD Epyc to be officially supported, at which time all "Zen v1" chips (i.e. including Ryzen) should be supported.

GPU's are another story, I'm not sure if they back port any of the kernel GPU stuff, and they typically use an older Mesa anyways, so probably RHEL is not a good choice for use with the newer AMD or intel graphics chips. NVidia is a better choice for desktop RHEL.

FWIW I used to use RHEL 6 Workstation and then RHEL 7 Workstation as my main desktop for the past ~5 years or so, with a GTX Titan. I recently switched for Fedora 25, mainly for the Radeon Rx 480 support, but also for more up to date system libraries and desktopy type software.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 01 August 2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Still no news on Distrowatch, strange.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Sure they are intended as desktop systems. What made you think they aren't? For both RHEL 6 and RHEL 7, there is a Workstation installer, as well as a server installer. RHEL Workstation has been displacing legacy UNIX workstations from Sun, HP, and IBM, for a while now.

Red Hat publishes a detailed support matrix, listing exactly which cpu's are supported in which release. They also are very good about backporting cpu support.
                Here's their AMD support matrix: https://access.redhat.com/articles/65431
                and here's their intel support matrix: https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/intel
                I doubt they'll list Ryzen specifically though, you probably have to wait for AMD Epyc to be officially supported, at which time all "Zen v1" chips (i.e. including Ryzen) should be supported.

GPU's are another story, I'm not sure if they back port any of the kernel GPU stuff, and they typically use an older Mesa anyways, so probably RHEL is not a good choice for use with the newer AMD or intel graphics chips. NVidia is a better choice for desktop RHEL.

FWIW I used to use RHEL 6 Workstation and then RHEL 7 Workstation as my main desktop for the past ~5 years or so, with a GTX Titan. I recently switched for Fedora 25, mainly for the Radeon Rx 480 support, but also for more up to date system libraries and desktopy type software.
                Yeah, for a start, installing GPU drivers is a PITA on EL. And guess what, there's no desktop without a GPU. It's not "another story", it's fundamental on the desktop. So I'm glad you answered your own (dumb) question. ("What made you think they aren't?")

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                  Still no news on Distrowatch, strange.
                  Distrowatch isnt the worlds best IMO

Comment

Yeah, for a start, installing GPU drivers is a PITA on EL.
                    Funny, I had no trouble at all. It's well documented, and there are 3rd party repos that make it so easy. I'll admit though, Linux can be challenging for inexperienced newbies.

And guess what, there's no desktop without a GPU.
                    Brilliant assessment.

It's not "another story", it's fundamental on the desktop. So I'm glad you answered your own (dumb) question. ("What made you think they aren't?")
                    I'm sorry you don't understand this subject matter, or even what "workstation" means. NVidia, AMD, and intel GPU's are all supported on RHEL. If you have an NVidia card, you can use the latest and greatest. If you have intel or AMD, you have to check the support matrix, as the newest products are not supported. Does that make more sense to you? Sounds like maybe a Mac is more your speed. The Apple store is that way ---->
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 01 August 2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X