Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMW 0.42 Released To Let Morrowind Live On

Phoronix: OpenMW 0.42 Released To Let Morrowind Live On

For fans of OpenMW, the open-source re-implementation of the engine powering Elderscrolls III: Morrowind, a new feature release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not quite included in the main release, but a lot of work has been done on a multiplayer mod: tes3mp.

Comment

They have done great work with this engine and I am really looking forward for someone to create a new morrowind-style rpg based on this.

Comment

just awesome

Comment

If I recall, isn't the developer of the games even now shipping them with the OpenMW engine on GoG and Steam?

This is sort of a sign that the fundamental code of OpenMW is superior, even if the actual support still needs a little bit further to support every detail of the game.

The idea that they don't want to waste their time porting the old engine to WinNT engines and cards not supporting older DirectX versions. (Specifically there are a bunch of old context management, window management and asset management routines that got depricated back in DirectX 7 that got removed optionally in DirectX 9 and Removed fully in DirectX 9.5+. There were also a few shader functions removed, just like OpenGL, but that is less likely to be an issue.)

Comment

Hi,
            I would like to inform you, that you can easily install Morrowind with latest OpenMW on any 64 bit Linux system, by using Recultis project:
            We are moving to GitLab! Return to the cult games. On Linux, with modern, open source engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruediix View Post
              If I recall, isn't the developer of the games even now shipping them with the OpenMW engine on GoG and Steam?

This is sort of a sign that the fundamental code of OpenMW is superior, even if the actual support still needs a little bit further to support every detail of the game.

The idea that they don't want to waste their time porting the old engine to WinNT engines and cards not supporting older DirectX versions. (Specifically there are a bunch of old context management, window management and asset management routines that got depricated back in DirectX 7 that got removed optionally in DirectX 9 and Removed fully in DirectX 9.5+. There were also a few shader functions removed, just like OpenGL, but that is less likely to be an issue.)
              eh no, Bethesda aren't shipping OpenMW with Morrowind. At least not the steam version, but I can't imagine they'd have a different rule for GOG. Would love to know where you got this idea cause it'd be great if true

Comment

While the project is still very active, their "marketing department" is so bad, that this project looks dead most of the time. If anyone is interested in reporting progress, keeping contact with the community, make sure you join the team and help them.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  While the project is still very active, their "marketing department" is so bad
                  Not really.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

"Collision handling has been improved (better performance and overall behaviour)"

Oh sweet moonsugar, I've been hoping for this -- it's the ONLY problem I have with OpenMW. Fighting Frost Atronarchs underground and "tripping over" a jar => collision physics issue that causes 1-2fps on my laptop. I had to use a console command to send it back to its original location -- "ResetActors", I think -- and try to get to a spot where the problem wouldn't occur before I could beat it.

I can live without shadows, honestly.
                    Last edited by mulenmar; 03 August 2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X