Epic Games Is Planning To Use Vulkan By Default For Unreal Engine On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Is Planning To Use Vulkan By Default For Unreal Engine On Linux

Phoronix: Epic Games Is Planning To Use Vulkan By Default For Unreal Engine On Linux

Epic Games has an interesting goal of eventually being able to use the Vulkan graphics API by default on Linux systems running the Unreal Engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Vulkan could be default on Windows too, once ready. If implemented properly, it should be faster than D3D11 and more accessible than D3D12.

Comment

For years now developers ask for auto generation of a OGL or VK secondary back ends along side D3D, programming their game only once. Those antique graphics engine companies want you to maintain two or more back ends at the same time. We want an API less graphics engine.
      Last edited by artivision; 03 August 2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

From a technical point-of-view, Vulkan would be a good match going forward. But technical merit isn't the only thing Epic have to consider. I would imagine there's a lot of political bs behind the scenes which would compel Epic to at least consider staying on D3D on Windows. They're the premier engine on the market with ties to MS (e.g. Gears was an MS exclusive), it's not like MS isn't going to whisper in their ear about such things. Vulkan superseding DX12 would be a significant blow for MS.

Comment

I think it is good idea to concentrate on Vulkan as the primary graphics API at least on Linux. Drivers are less complex and the games with Vulkan look promising.

Comment

It would seem like Vulkan would be good to use everywhere, but I guess Xbox makes sure that won't happen. Boo Microsoft.

Comment

Wow, such a wise decision after Tim Sweeney has been ranting about Microsoft for more than 5 years now.

They should make it default on all platforms. It all seems like a joke anyway, they have implemented d3d12 for Windows 10.

Comment

Yeah sure Vulkan on Linux. We will just have to wait until Yaakuro fixed all bugs for them...

Comment

I'm surprised it isn't working already. There are a few upcoming games that use unreal engine that could do with Vulkan support just working already. OpenGL is pretty bugged too.

Comment

Allegedly it should already work with Vulkan+SteamVR but I have yet to see anyone release anything, not even a tiny demo...

Comment

Working...
                    X