Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS Released, Updates The Hardware Enablement Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS Released, Updates The Hardware Enablement Stack

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS Released, Updates The Hardware Enablement Stack

Officially out today is Ubuntu 16.04.3 as the newest point release for this Ubuntu Long Term Support (LTS) release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael !!!
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx
    (Please read this important advisory)
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...d-16.04.3.aspx
    This applies to AMDGPU-PRO drivers that support Ubuntu 16.04.2 (e.g. 17.10, 17.20, and 17.30).

Canonical is in the process of rolling out Ubuntu 16.04.3, which contains a rolling HWE (Hardware Enablement) stack with Linux® kernel 4.10 and X server 1.19. Ubuntu 16.04.2 will automatically upgrade to 16.04.3 during application of normal operating system updates, unlike previous releases which required users to request the new HWE stack. Current releases of AMDGPU-PRO drivers for Ubuntu 16.04.2 are not compatible with kernel 4.10 and X server 1.19. We are working with Canonical to resolve this situation.

Installation of AMDGPU-PRO drivers on Ubuntu 16.04.3 will likely result in issues, such as black screen hang or defaulting to a lower graphics mode without acceleration. This also applies to Ubuntu 16.04.2 users who have been upgraded to 16.04.3.

Existing users of Ubuntu 16.04.2 with AMDGPU-PRO may experience the same problems after updating their system.

©2017 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Comment

Updated and PRIME Sync works well, finally.

Comment

Ah, the joys of the opensource driver.

Comment

Yay, finally kernel 4.10 and Ryzen support on the LTS

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Ah, the joys of the opensource driver.
            Agreed. My Llano HTPC is running 16.04, since I don't want to risk its stability as much with my normal frequent update cycle. I haven't worried about the graphics driver breaking as part of a kernel/mesa upgrade in a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
              Updated and PRIME Sync works well, finally.
              What are your GPU brand and model names?

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

What are your GPU brand and model names?
                It's a GeForce 940MX 4GB on a Dell Inspiron 7460. To enable PRIME Sync all you have to do is edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-driver.conf IIRC to change the modeset option from 0 to 1 and then update the initramfs. Then, reboot.

There's something funny with the cursor, but that should be resolved by the next point release.

It works well, as far as I could test.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

It's a GeForce 940MX 4GB on a Dell Inspiron 7460. To enable PRIME Sync all you have to do is edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-driver.conf IIRC to change the modeset option from 0 to 1 and then update the initramfs. Then, reboot.

There's something funny with the cursor, but that should be resolved by the next point release.

It works well, as far as I could test.

​​​​
                  I can confirm, it works well test with nvidia 950m and 920m no tearing, videos look good and moving windows, with the last nvidia driver, only thing I need to do was purge the driver first and install the driver again, some issue when change the gpu, most likely something I do wrong

Comment

Working...
                  X