Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.14 Released

Phoronix: Git 2.14 Released

Git 2.14 is now available as the latest feature update to this widely-used, open-source revision control system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Git is so difficult to use and inconsistent and unpredictable.

Like the way you add and list things such as branches, tags and stashes.
    Example "git tag" will list tags, and "git branch" will list branches, but "git stash" will stash whats not committed, to list stashes you would do "git stash list".
    Lots of things like this which makes it very weird and unintuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Like the way you add and list things such as branches, tags and stashes.
      Example "git tag" will list tags, and "git branch" will list branches, but "git stash" will stash whats not committed, to list stashes you would do "git stash list".
      Lots of things like this which makes it very weird and unintuitive.
      What VCS do you prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What VCS do you prefer?
        It is hard to say. I don't have much experience with different VCS.
        Git is probably a good VCS with good features, technology, protocols, architecture and stuff, but the tooling is a bit inconsistent and unpredictable which makes it difficult to learn and use.

Sometimes it doesn't matter though since you can use different front-ends and porcelains. Atom have built-in support for Git.

I've used Team Foundation Server (TFS) from within Microsoft Visual Studio and it maybe isn't any good, maybe it only works on Visual Studio on Windows and isn't cross-platform or work in other IDE, can't even use it from command line, and I had whole Visual Studio freeze when it interact with TFS but as a user it is dead simple and any idiot can get started with it right away and check-in stuff.

Git might be better but it can be a lot to learn and tricky to use. But that maybe don't matter if you got some nice IDE with a user-friendly Git integration, perhaps Atom.

I haven't used Mercurial or Bazaar but they are probably good VCS tough. But ultimately perhaps it doesn't matter so much which VCS is good, because in the end you kind of have to use developers are familiar with then Git is a good choice, because it is very popular.

An interesting tidbit about Git is that it was developed especially for kernel developers to use for the Linux kernel, hence is built with the needs of those.

I wish Git developers would make a Git version 3 where they fix client to make it more consistent and predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Check out Pijul: https://pijul.org/documentation/model/

Comment

Working...
          X